Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pantograph spacing question >

Pantograph spacing question

Pantograph spacing question

Old 09-07-2015, 11:37 AM

Default Pantograph spacing question

I now have a mid-arm machine on a frame (yeah!) and am ready to try out pantographs. I've found videos on their use as to correct placement of the rows, but nothing that deals with the spacing on a quilt to make sure you don't end up with just a few inches. Not sure I'm asking this right. The one I am currently using is a 6" wide, but my quilt is 68", which isn't evenly divisible by 6. So I'd end up with 6 - 1/3 rows. Not good. How do I make the adjustments between the rows to come out even? I'm hoping there's a nifty calculator or something to do this.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

There is absolutely nothing wrong with partial rows in a panto. The nature of them is that one row should somewhat interlock with the row above and below it (designed on a gentle serpentine rather than a straight line). The designers make them that way so a partial row isn't even noticeable. I will sometimes do partial row on top and bottom.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:50 PM

You can also just echo the design free hand
Old 09-07-2015, 06:12 PM

I NEVER worry about partial rows..most pantos start with partial rows...when you get to the last row quilt as much of the row as needed...easy...
Old 09-07-2015, 06:16 PM

The beauty of using an overall pattern like a pantograph is that you don't have to worry about such things! The design usually starts with a partial row, and then ends with a partial row. You're making a problem where there is no problem. If you check, you'll see that most of the paper pantograph patterns have a partial row printed along one edge for you to start with.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:57 AM

Thanks. Two of the pantos I purchased have a dotted partial row on either side of the main pattern, but I thought that was to help with spacing placement between the rows, not to start and end the quilt with. Nice to have learned something new.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
Thanks. Two of the pantos I purchased have a dotted partial row on either side of the main pattern, but I thought that was to help with spacing placement between the rows, not to start and end the quilt with. Nice to have learned something new.
You are correct that the dotted line part of the pattern is indeed to help you advance and space the panto for the next row. But you can also use it to quilt a partial row. In fact, if you start with the full "solid line" row you will have areas at the very top of your quilt that are lacking due to the partial design not being quilted in.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:11 AM

Don't worry about partial rows. It is near to impossible to space a panto to get only complete rows.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:50 AM

I have a mid arm machine as well, but I haven't tried pantos yet. What does your set up look like? I have a laser guide, but I was having trouble seeing my quilt with the shelf on, so I took it off. I think that's where I would put a panto if I were to use one.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:51 AM

I have used the partial rows, modified a partial row using painter's tape, or have free handed a fill,depending on the space I have left.