Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
paper for paper piecing >

paper for paper piecing

paper for paper piecing

Old 03-09-2015, 04:53 PM

Smile paper for paper piecing

What is the best weight paper to use for paper piecing? Is it ok to just use regular copy paper? I have some 20 wt but didn't know if this will work. I couldn't find any thinner paper at the office supply store so I assumed this is the lightest weight. Thanks for any info from all you paperpiecers out there!!
Old 03-09-2015, 05:15 PM

You'll get lots of suggestions, Helen, but I use regular copy paper and I do a lot of paper piecing. Just use a small stitch length (my Viking reads 1.5), crease the paper on the seam with your fingernail, and it comes right off. I have forceps or tweezers that I use to get the tiny pieces that sometimes remain.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

I like lighter paper and I can sometimes get the tablets of beige newsprint type paper at the $Store.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:20 PM

I use copy paper most of the time...it's easy and handy.....and as janRN said - reduce your stitch length and creasing the paper along the stitch line before you tear works great. In a pinch if you're having trouble removing some - dampen the paper a little.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:13 PM

Newsprint is what is sold in packages as paper piecing paper. You can buy it cheaper at the Dollar Store or online. I bought a 12" wide roll at a paper factory, and the cost breaks down to a bit less than a penny a page. If you buy the packages sold for paper piecing, your cost will be about ten cents a page. Big difference!
Old 03-10-2015, 02:32 AM
Power Poster

I've been using regular copy paper for over 10 years, I shorten my stitch length, it works great. There are many options that are more expensive, a few I've tried, usually when someone bought me something different, like vellum, but when its gone I go back to copy paper. When I don't want to have to remove paper I copy my patterns onto thin, cheap muslin ( often 99¢ a yard at Joanne's) then it can be left in.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:29 AM
Power Poster

I' ve used every type of paper for paper piecing. My favorite is lightweight vellum. It goes through the printer and tears away great, no little tiny pieces.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Regular copy paper is all I use as well.
Just checked and mine is a 20 lb. paper.

Like the others said, shorten your stitch length down ... I go down to 1.0 !!
Never any problems, to remove the paper, even if multiple seams come together.
Just be sure that any seam edges that are going to get buried, that you remove the edge before the next seam is made.

I keep a roll of painter's tape handy for band aids, just in case any of the paper falls off too early!!
It's iron friendly, whereas scotch tape will melt and create a real mess!
Old 03-10-2015, 04:49 AM

You can use any paper you like. However, when I paper piece I fold my paper back first, then stitch on the fabric right beside the paper. This way I do not have to tear off the paper, because it is never stitched to the fabric.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

I use the lightest weight copy paper that has had printout errors, when that happens. I have always used the lightest weight for my machine. I also use the paper that comes in shoe boxes and tissue paper from the dollar discount stores (mainly for foundation). I have one of the old paper cutters with the huge knife on the side of the butcher block. Still sharp since it will only cut paper. will cut cardboard also.