Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Piece question >

Paper Piece question

Paper Piece question

Old 04-29-2011, 09:47 PM

When you are pp do you sew the pieces of the blocks together with the paper still on.. Or do you pull it off then sew the pieces together. I generally take the paper off but I notice I have to square up my blocks when they are done. I do that because it seems harder to get the paper off after the pieces are all sewed together. I just wondered how others do it.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:55 PM

Keep the paper on until you are totally done with the block. I learned this the hard way :D
Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 PM

When I pp, I leave the paper on and sew with small stitches... almost to 0 on my machine. That way when I hold the paper to tear it off, it rips off easily. I was just pp this afternoon and trying to remind myself that next time I sit down to do this I need to grab a pair of tweezers which will help me get a hold of tiny pieces that are sometimes hard to start ripping. Occasionally, if I am having trouble getting paper off, I will spray it lightly with water and let it sit for a bit, then it tears off even easier.

Hope this helps you. :-D

PS: I should add that the flower I was doing today had 3 sections to it. I pp each section, trimmed the outside cutting edge and then even left the paper on when I sewed the sections together. After that is when I tore all of the paper off the sections. Since I sew with very small stitches, I have also begun to stitch back a stitch once I have sewn two stitches at the beginning of a seam. I end my stitching with a back stitch or two. This eliminates the stitches coming loose when I am tearing paper off. :-D
Old 04-29-2011, 10:24 PM

use a very light interfacing as the foundation --then leave it in
Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 PM

I leave the papers on until I have completed the quilt top, then I sit down with a good movie and have myself a paper removing party! Yippee :) I do love to paper piece so I have done this numerous times.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:26 AM
dd

I get so aggravated doing pp. I think I have the fabric the right size, sew it, flip it and there isn't enough fabric to cover the section. Trying to rip out those tiny little stitches is terrible. Thought I liked pp, now I'm not so sure.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:42 AM

I cut extra large fabric pieces...just so I don't have to rip...but sometimes I'll baste stitch first to make sure and then sew right over that if OK...never pull off paper until totally put together and use 1.5 length to make it easy to pull off photo copy paper I use.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:51 AM

I leave it on until it is a flimsie (unquilted top). Then, you can lay a damp towel on it and the paper will come right off!
Old 04-30-2011, 08:05 AM

I crease all the sewing lines first to help make sure I have the right size fabric and it helps remove the paper later. I leave all the papers on until I start joining the blocks to make rows unless there is going to be too much in the seam allowances to sew over. If that happens, I try to just remove the paper in the seam allowance. Cheap tablet or newsprint type paper works best for me. I had some old fashioned type writer paper when I first started and that stuff was perfect but I can't find it any more.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by dd
I get so aggravated doing pp. I think I have the fabric the right size, sew it, flip it and there isn't enough fabric to cover the section. Trying to rip out those tiny little stitches is terrible. Thought I liked pp, now I'm not so sure.
Use tracing paper to print on. You can hold it up to the light and see if what you have cut is going to cover the area.