Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Paper Piecers: a cry for help!

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    I am new to paper piecing. This is only my second attempt. I will admit I shouldn't have printed the pattern on green paper and I should only paper piece when I have natural light to work with.

My question: is there a trick to angles? No matter how much I mussed or fussed last night I couldn't get this to work.

Also please ignore the fabric - after many attempts I ran out of the one fabric :(
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Can you give a bit more detail as I can't see anything wrong with the angles, from here.

One thing I did was to make sure I used really oversized pieces. The other thing I have tried is to precut my piece about 1 inch larger but keeping the final shape. The trick is remembering that you are working from the back, so you need to reverse the fabric when you are finding a piece to add on. Good luck. Once I figured out the basics, I really enjoy paper piecing.

Blog Entries
    If you are talking about the pieces being too short, I was taught to measure the longest and widest part of the piece I am about to add and add one inch to the fabric.

Also I prefold all my paper before starting to paper piece. It takes some time but is so worth it. That way you can actually fold the paper back to see if your fabric will extend far enough past the ends of the piece you are adding and allow you to adjust before stitching.

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    At the bottom (or anywhere actually, but the bottom is the worst)- you shouldn't be seeing any green :)

Quote Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
    Can you give a bit more detail as I can't see anything wrong with the angles, from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Conniequilts
    At the bottom (or anywhere actually, but the bottom is the worst)- you shouldn't be seeing any green :)

Quote Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
    It looks like you are cutting your pieces too small, as the previous ladies have said, cut your pieces oversize, way oversize and that should correct your problem.

Blog Entries
    I had the same problem, cutting too small. You will get there!

Blog Entries
    Agree - too small pieces - don't try to cut it in an 'exact shape' to fit.
    Also line everything up like you're going to sew on the line except 'pin sew' it on the line and then flip the fabric over to see if the piece will fill in where it should. This trick has saved me lots of unsewing! :)

The top part looks GREAT!

[quote=scowlkat Also I prefold all my paper before starting to paper piece. It takes some time but is so worth it. That way you can actually fold the paper back to see if your fabric will extend far enough past the ends of the piece you are adding and allow you to adjust before stitching.[/quote]

This is what I find most useful - only I prefold one line at a time - the line I will be sewing on next. I put my new piece 1/4" above that line which is in fact the seam line - then I flip it to right side to see if all area is covered before I sew.

Quote Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    One thing I did was to make sure I used really oversized pieces. The other thing I have tried is to precut my piece about 1 inch larger but keeping the final shape. The trick is remembering that you are working from the back, so you need to reverse the fabric when you are finding a piece to add on. Good luck. Once I figured out the basics, I really enjoy paper piecing.
    This works for me also.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast