Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
paper piecing blocks >

paper piecing blocks

paper piecing blocks

Old 11-02-2010, 12:16 PM

I hope someone can help me with this. I have tried and tried, I cannot paper piece quilt blocks. I think they are so pretty but every time I try I mess up. I hope someone out there has some tips for me.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:20 PM

You need to get a book by Carol Doak, with a dvd or go to her web site and see what is available. She does a fantastic job of explaining how to do it. Her site is www.caroldoak.com Once you get the hang of it it is lots of fun.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:23 PM

Look on Carol Doak's website. She has some free patterns to practice on. I find hers MUCH easier than others.

http://www.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php
Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 PM
bj

Are you putting the fabric on the right or wrong side of the paper? My first try, I tried sewing the fabric to the side the design was printed on, but when I flipped it over, I couldn't really see the lines very well. Then, I asked a friend and she explained the printed side of the paper is the back side of the design. That way you can see the lines (Duh moment for me). And she told me to be sure and use small stitches to perforate the paper closer together so it will tear easier. Also, make sure your pattern pieces are numbered and follow the order exactly. I'm not a PP expert, but that made the difference for me. I did a PP heart quilt for my mil that really turned out nicely.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Carol Doak DVD is a must for paper piecing. I could not get my head wrapped around how to paper piece until I watched her DVD. I love her books, they come with a cd so you can print out the size of the pp patterns you want.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

Maybe this easy breezy tutorial by amma can help you.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-25541-1.htm
Old 11-03-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Look on Carol Doak's website. She has some free patterns to practice on. I find hers MUCH easier than others.

Thanks for that link. I just downloaded a bunch. I mean to try paper piecing sometime and these will be just the place to start. This board rocks!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by JudeWill
Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter

Thanks for that link. I just downloaded a bunch. I mean to try paper piecing sometime and these will be just the place to start. This board rocks!
Definitely start with some free blocks. I did a bunch of different hearts and then made a doll quilt for my niece out of them. Also they are good for potholders. Great way to practice!

And then I recommend Carol Doak too! Her's are easier than they look and beautiful in the end.