Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing frustration >

Paper piecing frustration

Paper piecing frustration

Old 02-02-2014, 05:34 PM

Default Paper piecing frustration

Hopefully one of you paper piece experts will have a solution for me.

I'm having trouble trying to get the angles sewn correctly. When I place the piece it looks right but when it flip it to iron its totally wrong. I found a couple tutorials but for some reason I can't wrap my brain around the instructions.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Power Poster

If it is hard to grasp the idea from reading directions or watching videos, I would suggest taking a class at a LQS or even a local guild. Sometimes you just need hands on instruction. Once you practice a few times with someone watching you will catch on. I love PPing now that I have learned how to do it.
peace
Old 02-02-2014, 05:45 PM

Paper piecing just takes practice and repetition. I find it helpful to pin the piece, flip it up and hold it up to the light to see if it covers all the area that I need it too. Does that make sense? I audition the piece before I sew.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:47 PM

I'm not good at PP either. But what I do is cut the pieces much larger than I think I need. You will waste some fabric but save some frustration.
Cindy
Old 02-02-2014, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

I've found a lot of videos that have helped me. Took awhile but finally got it accomplished. Don't like to do the itty bitty, teeny tiny piecing though.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:48 PM

hi! i am NO expert at all, but if you go to craftsy you can still join their 2013 BOM, it is free, and there are 2 paper pieced blocks in there. amy gibson is a DREAM when it comes to simple instructions and the quilt is rather beautiful as well! good luck to you!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:37 PM

I think I have this figured out, at least I hope I have. The last PP block I did didn't have such small steep angles.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:37 PM

I took Amy Gibson's class and loved it.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:56 PM

I am self taught; my dh is good at pp and told me I did not know how to pp. I am doing the Spike Your English blocks with our QB BOM group (free patterns from www.quiltingonthesquare.com )...and he has to agree they turn out right. I simply trace the pattern on the back of the pattern piece, so I can see where I am suppose to sew the seam. I use Elmer's stick glue to glue the first piece into place on the printed side and sew from the back side. I do the recommended size for each one because one lady figures out all the measurements and post them for everyone of the group to use.

I also am doing the 50 Fab Stars, program through Foundation that features Carol Doak's paper piecing and her book on 50 Fab Stars. She also explains the right way to paper piece, and gives measurements to cut each piece of fabric. I have found you must try it to be able to do it. (Lots of videos out there on u-tube.) With the small pieces, I cut one pattern up into pieces, paste on to thin cardboard and add seam allowance and use them as templates to paper piece with, trimming by folding back on the seam line after doing each piece and a small ruler as a guide. I did a tutorial on the Star site on how to do the centers and Carrie (the leader) thought it was great.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:17 PM

I could not visualize paper piecing in order to do it for the longest time. This young lady explains it so well that I overcame my mental roadblock. She moves a bit fast but just pause and try along with her, or back up and listen again. She throws in some neat things to keep track of the process. A couple of things I wrote down and refer to as a check list. I know it is basic but mundane trips me up every time! 1. Wrong side of paper pattern and wrong side of first piece is the most important for me to remember for things to go smoothly. I also would put a pin a 1/2 in beyond the sewing line and edges of piece going to sew. Then when I flipped to put the next piece on, I knew it had to at least butt up against the pins. The pins are for guiding not holding anything together. I DID it this way until this young lady shared her little technique. Bright girl. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwsR_p9BjrI Good luck and know you are not the only bright person stumped by this. Warning: Once it sinks in, you will never turn back and may even get addicted.