Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Paper Piecing - by Hand ????? >
  • Paper Piecing - by Hand ?????

• Paper Piecing - by Hand ?????

Old 04-13-2012, 08:47 AM

Default Paper Piecing - by Hand ?????

I am going to be travelling over the summer and have fallen in love with a small pineapple quilt that has sixteen pineapple blocks in it. I will not be able to take even a small sewing machine because we will be travelling in our camper and it is pretty small. I have purchased some water soluable paper to put my blocks on but am wondering about doing all the sewing by hand. I have never hand pieced a block so this will be a first for me. I know ... nothing like starting out small ... lol

Has anyone done this? Any suggestions?
    Old 04-13-2012, 09:01 AM

From http://www.quilt.com/HowTo/FoundationHowToPage.html: "For hand piecing, foundations must be transferred to a cloth backing such as
    muslin. There are several sources for foundation paper blocks. They may be
    purchased already printed, they may be photocopied from several books currently
    available on foundation paper piecing, or they can be drawn by hand or by using
    a computer drawing program. For foundation piecing by hand, the pattern must be
    transferred to the backing fabric. Muslin with freezer paper ironed on to the
    back can be fed through many computer printers. The quilter is advised to check
    his/her printer manual to see if this option is possible."
    Old 04-13-2012, 09:38 AM

Hemlock Tea, thank you for the link.

I wonder why it would matter ... it must be because of the small pieces. I would think it would turn out like any other hand piecing project once the wash-out paper was gone.

I guess I will be getting out the muslin and freezer paper - maybe I will try it both ways to see whether they would both work out fine.

An adventure in quilting -- in more ways than one.
    Old 04-13-2012, 09:54 AM
    Power Poster

A camper too small for a portable machine? Mine would be riding in my lap. LOL.
    Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 AM

Why not try a block with the water soluble paper, it may be sturdy enough. I would think regular paper would get distorted/ possibly tear from the handling (at least if you hand piece anything like I do lol).
    Old 04-13-2012, 10:10 AM
    Power Poster

When you paper piece, the stitches have to be smaller or the seam will distort/pull apart when you take out the paper. Doing it by hand with paper may not give the pieces enough strength if you use regular paper. Using water soluble materials, it shouldn't matter because you won't be tugging on any seams. I'd say try it. If it works, go for it.
    Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 AM

There is always room somewhere for a featherweight in a camper - if not then - take out the stove!!!! Or wear the same clothes everyday - (ha ha)
    Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 AM

Maybe consider using the pre-printed muslin foundations, that way you do not have to take them out.
    Old 04-13-2012, 12:00 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    When you paper piece, the stitches have to be smaller or the seam will distort/pull apart when you take out the paper. Doing it by hand with paper may not give the pieces enough strength if you use regular paper. Using water soluble materials, it shouldn't matter because you won't be tugging on any seams. I'd say try it. If it works, go for it.
    This explains why paper foundations are not the greatest idea. Madquilter - you do give helpful info

I see no reason why fabric (or pellon or used dryer sheets - yes, I know some have a concern about using dryer sheets) would not work for foundation piecing by hand.
    Old 04-13-2012, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Agree with above on all counts.