Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing help please >

Paper piecing help please

Paper piecing help please

Old 06-26-2014, 07:08 PM

Question Paper piecing help please

Help!

I was told you could paper piece using Freezer Paper. Just iron the fabric to the Freezer Paper and fold as you go along so you don't have to tear the paper off when you're finished. So I did it.

But now how do I get the Freezer Paper off without it tearing the fabric edges? Just pulling practically shreds the edges of the fabric.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

I think there is a tutorial about it on QB. You do have to be careful removing the freezer paper from some of the bias edges. I peel it back gently and persuade it with my fingernail along any edges that are stubborn.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:49 PM

Well, I think freezer paper is a bit heavy for paper piecing, that's why I now use tracing paper or just computer paper. However when I was using freezer paper, I put a used card on the stitching line and tore the paper against that. I'd guess that an old fashioned ruler with a sharp edge would work too. There are several companies that produce paper meant for paper piecing. In any case, keep a pair of tweezers handy to pick out the bits that don't tear away so easy.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:31 AM
Power Poster

i use the fold back method for my paper piecing. but i use copy paper. if i feel the piece is getting too big to stay in it's proper place, i just put a dab of washable glue stick on the paper to keep the fabrics from shifting. HTH
Old 06-27-2014, 02:41 AM

I never heard of using freezer paper. I buy paper labeled "Carol Doak's" for PP> Just the right weight.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:10 AM

I use copy/computer. Have never used freezer paper. The Carol Doak paper is wonderful, but pricey (in my opinion).
Old 06-27-2014, 03:56 AM

I like Golden Threads paper, it comes on a roll not too expensive and is a good weight for paper piecing. It tears away fairly easily.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i use the fold back method for my paper piecing. but i use copy paper. if i feel the piece is getting too big to stay in it's proper place, i just put a dab of washable glue stick on the paper to keep the fabrics from shifting. HTH
I have just started doing pp'ing, and this is what I use, but since all my glue sticks have dried up, I've been using those tiny applique pins to secure the fabrics onto the paper.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

I have always use the CHEAP computer paper that sometimes your given for free at the major office supply store. I usually am able to finger press and pin while stitching. I do have freezer paper but I use it for other applications such as applique, not paper piecing since there are better products out there to use for PP.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:03 AM

I use the "Doodle Pad" from the dollar store. It tears fine. I think freezer paper has too much structure to use for paper piecing. I think it is used for patterns more than piecing.