Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Paper Piecing Paper???

I've just started paper piecing. I took a class, love it and am hooked!!! It allows this impatient quilter to make some blocks I wouldn't usually attempt with regular piecing. It does seem to waste material though... :(

The question is...I used tracing paper, which I like because I can see through it. Does anyone know where I can get it cheaper than an office store (I went to Staples), and not bound into a pad? Its hard to rip it out, it wasn't 8 1/2 X11 so I had to trim it, and it has some of the sticky stuff left on top..makes it a little tough in the printer. HELP!!!!

I know I'll get a lot of suggestions from you all...Thanks in advance :D :D

I just use a light weight, cheapy printer paper from Walmart or the Office Depot.
    K

You can use sandwich wrapper paper. I get mine at Smart-n-Final, if you have one of those near you. It comes in 12" sq & 18" sq (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by mommaB
    I've just started paper piecing. I took a class, love it and am hooked!!! It allows this impatient quilter to make some blocks I wouldn't usually attempt with regular piecing. It does seem to waste material though... :(

The question is...I used tracing paper, which I like because I can see through it. Does anyone know where I can get it cheaper than an office store (I went to Staples), and not bound into a pad? Its hard to rip it out, it wasn't 8 1/2 X11 so I had to trim it, and it has some of the sticky stuff left on top..makes it a little tough in the printer. HELP!!!!

I know I'll get a lot of suggestions from you all...Thanks in advance :D :D
    I do not use paper, instead muslin or white cotton. That way I do not have to pick out the paper bits. I usually wash foundation material and then spray it with sizing to make it stiff.

bj
    I got some called June Taylor that says it is: transparent for easy fabric positioning, non-woven for clean tear-away, works in laser or ink-jet printers, or mark with any variety of marking pen. I haven't tried it yet though. I ordered a book of pp stars patterns and it hasn't come in yet. I've never done pp, so I hope this stuff works! I think it was $4 or so at JoAnn's for 25 sheets of paper.

Quote Originally Posted by KO24
    I just use a light weight, cheapy printer paper from Walmart or the Office Depot.
    K
    That's what I use too. No problems with it, either. I love PP.

On Quilting Arts this weekend, they showed paper piecing with a water-soluble stablizer. That would be nice too, not having to tear out the paper, but I'll bet it's pricey! :mrgreen:

I have heard some people using the rolls from the doctor's office for their examination tables.

I like using tracing paper myself. You can check your local dollar store to see if they have cheaper pads of tracing paper.

I use the pads from the dollar store, they work well for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast