Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PAPER PIECING QUESTION >

PAPER PIECING QUESTION

PAPER PIECING QUESTION

Old 08-29-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bueniebabe
Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Hi ladies. Hoping someone can help me with a paper piecing questions. I have a vacation day Thursday so I'm taking a paperpiecing class. Does it normally use a lot more fabric than a standard pieced top? I just got my fabric requirements and for a twin size its 7.25 yard black then 4 pieces each of four different color familes so around 15-17 yards of fabric for a twin top including binding. Does that make sense or am I misunderstanding?

I think Carol Doak's paper piecing books tell what size to cut each piece. That would help a lot.
On PP patterns without the sizes to cut the fabric pieces: I take a sheet of plain white paper and lay it on top of the pattern piece and draw roughly around the shape making sure I have at least 1/4" seam allowance. It definately takes some time to do this but it is worth it to not cut a piece incorrectly and waste the fabric. I did this the second time I did the Candlequilter block and I was amazed at how much my fabric waste was decreased.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:36 PM

the yardage must include the backing and binding.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by connie_1936
the yardage must include the backing and binding.
No just the binding. I called shop owner and she said instructor missed calculated black which should be 4.5 not 7.5 but still comes out to around 13 yards. I'm doing a few blocks then seeing what I think. Thank you all for the advice. I am mainly taking class so I can learn paperpiecing to do some of the Judy Neimeyer patterns.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
yes- it takes alot more fabric than a pieced top- the first time i tried paper piecing i was so distressed over how much fabric i was cutting off and throwing away- i swore i would never paper piece again! that didn't last long- as i went along i learned ways to not waste so much- and i also stopped throwing it in the waste basket = i saved those pieces- and figured out ways to use them.
now i paper or foundation piece all the time- still takes alot of fabric= but i don't waste it.
This was true for me too. As a beginner, you'll want to give yourself ample pieces to work with. But then as you gain experience and become more comfortable, you will discover that you can reduce the size of pieces so that there's very little waste. And, of course, you really won't waste those extra pieces. Just make a scrappy crazy quilt or string quilt with them.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:37 AM

You won't be sorry taking that class.I do mug mats,table toppers,runners,coasters.Anything and everything.Connie in CO