Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing question >

Paper piecing question

Paper piecing question

Old 02-26-2014, 01:41 PM

Default Paper piecing question

After months of trying to work up the nerve, I am going to try my Glacier Pines pattern. My question, do you take the paper off as you go or after the quilt top is finished? I guess in all the reading of the pattern I missed reading that. I have no idea how to do paper piecing but if someone who is just learning to sew can make the beautiful quilt that was just posted, surely I can attempt it. Thanks
Old 02-26-2014, 01:55 PM

I normally leave it in to protect the edges of the blocks which often are bias edges. I take mine off when the piece is bordered by a non paper pieced edge of fabric.

Note: some authors suggest stay stitching in the seam allowance to stabalize but if you do this when the paper is on the blocks, taking off the paper is much harder on the fabric of the edge. If you do it, test a block first. In fact, with this project, I would test all on a sample block so you know how it works.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:03 PM

I usually take the paper off when I'm squaring up the blocks to sew them together. There will be lots of bias edges so if you're a little nervous about it, wait and take the paper off when it's ready to be sandwiched. I get bored with taking off all that paper so I usually do it in batches.

Good luck.... you'll do just fine. Paper piecing takes a little practice but the blocks are always perfect and the points line right up. I got a little frustrated when I first tried it but I do have a few tips for you.

1. Always audition your piece by pinning on the stitching line and folding the fabric back to make sure it will cover the space that's needed.
2. Only stitch to the line where another fabric will cross it. I've had to take out stitches when I haven't followed that rule.
3. Trim the 'seam' to 1/4" before adding the next fabric. That really helps with keeping excess fabric under control.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:13 PM

I, too, wait until the blocks are all sewn together before removing the paper. Nanna-up-north has great advice.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

There are lots of opinions on this subject and as you progress you will find what works best for you..

I love to PP and the best advice I learned over the years is starch your fabric so bias edges will be easier to handle but don't be overly concerned about bias edges. Handle the blocks gently and take your time.

After PPing for years, I now remove the paper after I finish each section and before I put the block together. I can't imagine waiting till the very end of a project to remove the paper. What a chore that would be.

I work block by block and some people like to chain piece all the sections at one time.

Can you post pictures of what you are working on? Wouldlove to see it.
peace
Old 02-26-2014, 02:24 PM

I remove the paper after I square the block.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

I do lots of paper piecing- my favorite technique! I always leave the paper on until the blocks are sewn together- when there is no more sewing to be done to a block then I might remove paper- but often I just sit down & remove them all after the top is together- that way all of the seams are secured- everything is stable and it's time to sit down with the top & remove them- I shorten my stitch length (on my machine I use a 1.5) then I hold the seam and tear the paper away like tearing on dotted lines.
if you have not paper pieced before visit Carol Doak's web site- she is considered the 'queen of paper piecing' (or the pioneer) has many hints, tips, helps and free blocks to try out & learn the technique before jumping into something advanced. it will be well worth your time in the long run to go there & do a couple practice blocks first- you could always turn them into placemats, table runners (or a whole quilt)
Old 02-26-2014, 03:36 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips. I haven't started it yet but will be soon. I have been so intimidated by it. When I opened the pattern and looked at all those lines I said, no way. But after reading through the directions it looks doable. I will post as soon asap.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:54 PM

I have been paper piecing for years and one thing I would suggest if you are new to paper piecing: do not start with a Judy Niemeyer pattern. They are extremely complex with lots of seams and not for beginners. Start with some of the Carol Doak patterns or some of the free paper pieced patterns on Quilters Cache (these say paper pieced and have 1,2 or 3 pins to tell you of the complexity).

I leave the papers on until I have completed the entire quilt top. Because I use a very small stitch length (1.5 on my Janome) the paper almost falls off when pulled gently. I sit in front of the tv and pull off the papers. Do not wet the papers because the inks from the pattern can transfer to the fabric. Keeping the papers on until the top is complete helps to stabilize the fabrics and keeps the bias from stretching.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

Anita
Old 02-26-2014, 06:03 PM

When I was first introduced too pp, I thought I would go crazy and the process to me at that time seemed so stupid. Then I watched a cd by Caro Doak.....it was so clear and made the process seem so simple and logical...so I would strongly suggest watching her do it.........either tutes or get a cd