Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
paper piecing question >

paper piecing question

paper piecing question

Old 02-09-2015, 08:19 AM

I buy Scribble Pads from the Dollar Tree - 40 sheets for $1.00. The sheets are a little wider than what my printer will accept, so I trim them about 1/2" as well as the gummed edge at the top. Additionally, I use a shorter stitch length. Scribble Pads tear away very easily!!
Old 02-09-2015, 08:31 AM

I use the June Tailor Perfect Piecing sheets. They are non-woven sheets that come 25 to a package. You can run them through both the ink jet and laser printers with no problems. AND, you don't have to remove them. When you first finish your blocks, they will be stiff. I am hoping that washig will soften them up; but I haven't gotten that far in my project, which is a BOM from Stitchin' Heaven.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Quilt N bee video is "No Tear Paper Piecing' uses freezer paper!
Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
This is not the paperless paper piecing. You are still sewing through the paper and have to rip the paper off at the end.

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21 This is paperless paper piecing.
All lines are scored from edge to edge with a ruler and the back side of a seam ripper, just enough to see the line clearly so it can be folded accurately on that line. (No postcard needed. The scored line is more accurate.)
After the first piece is ironed/glued on, and the second fabric is in place, you sew next to that fold. Continue adding pieces in order needed. When you are finished with that block, the piece of freezer paper is taken off and used for the next block. Nothing is sewn through the paper. A friend of mine made 20 blocks with the same piece of paper. Save the earth and save your time.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the Qtip idea. I never thought of that.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:03 AM

If you use copy paper set your machine stitch to 1 and sew over the lines first, it will mske it easier to fold back and to tear off without pulling out the stitches.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:21 PM

Does the damp Q-tip work on baking parchment paper? I use that for my quilting designs frequently.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:46 AM

I went to Amazon and bought the Newspaper copy paper. It's really cheap in $amount. It's thin and works great for me. I would not sew through regular copy paper..
Old 02-10-2015, 04:56 AM

I used regular copy paper on one project but I wasn't paper piecing. I used it for a pattern for quilting. The only problem I noted was due to the thickness of the paper your stitches won't be as tight when the paper is removed. I wish I had thought of the q-tip trick. I think it would have helped with the removal.
Rodney
Old 02-10-2015, 08:28 PM

I use the UNWAXED sandwich paper for my paperpiecing when I don't use copy paper. The sandwich paper is available at Smart&Final (and should be available at any restaurant supply). It is sturdier than tissue paper and much thinner than copy paper. Unfortunately, it does not go through the copy machine, but I found that if I staple several together and use one copy of the original as the master, I can stitch through at least eight layers and use the perforations as my sewing lines. It tears away very easily.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Does the damp Q-tip work on baking parchment paper? I use that for my quilting designs frequently.
I have never tried it on that -so I can not answer your question. Baking Parchment Paper has a coating on it - it may take a little longer or more than one swipe. Let us know if you try it!!