Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Piecing >

Paper Piecing

Paper Piecing

Old 11-21-2006, 01:28 PM

I've just started doing paper piecing (which seems so much easier for those nasty points!) and now I'm looking for a paper piece pattern for a Carpenter's Wheel. My son (who has always loved to make my live difficult :mrgreen: ) wants a quilt with that. I have a regular pattern but looking at it, I'm kinda cringing inside thinking about tackling it without paper piecing.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:25 PM

There is a book with all the "regular" quilt blocks in paper piecing. I do not remember the name of the book and I do not own it. Go to your local quilt store and they can help you find this book. Lee Main of Texas
Old 11-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Administrator

There's a patter at the Quilters' Cache website that uses half-square triangles instead of full diamonds. No Y-Seams. :-)

http://www.quilterscache.com/C/CarpentersWheelBlock.html

Either way, except for the center star, this pattern doesn't look like one that paper-piecing would make any easier. You could try printing your cutting lines, seam allowance, and sewing lines on the back of your fabric to make it more likely everything will line up properly when you put the blocks together. You'll use a little more fabric that way, but it does increase the accuracy of a finished product.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:23 AM

I've made the carpenters wheel without paper piecing, and it's not difficult. Basically it's just squares and 1/2 squares. What you need to do to simplify it is to color in a photo copy of the quilt placing your colors, that way it acts as a road map. Before you start count out all of your squares and 1/2 squares from your color drawing, That way you can sit down and sew all of your pieces, press them and then lay them out on a design wall or flannel backed table cloth. once you make sure all pieces are in place, stitch your rows. If you want an easy pattern e-mail me and I'll send it to you. [email protected]
Old 10-03-2007, 11:08 AM

Try here
http://www.quiltpox.davisfamilycreations.com/free_pdf_patterns.htm
I did a table topper and its not that hard. :D