Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Paper piecing tutorial advice

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    177
    I am totally befuddled by paper piecing in quilting. I googled it and the couple I looked at were of no help. I looked in the new Clotilde catalog and it looks like you have to buy foundation papers or patterns in order to do paper piecing but I get the feeling that a lot of you make your own. Is there a good tutorial out there that can help me understand this concept. I am new to this board so if this topic has been hashed and rehashed already I apologize. TIA

  2. #2
    Power Poster erstan947's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,086
    Blog Entries
    47
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....iecing&u=&s=10

    Go to this link and browse. Lots of information has come from members on this board. I love to paper piece:)

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,930
    Blog Entries
    1
    OH My...that darn PPing will scare you the first few times....however, never fear...the internet is here!

    If you go http://www.quilterscache.com, Marcia has a tute on there that is great!
    I personally love Carol Doak! The real QUEEN of paper piecing!
    here is a link to her sites FREE patterns and instructions!
    http://www.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php

    I have taught Carol's way for about 8 years now, so if you have any ???? feel free to email me!

  4. #4
    Member faithsmamaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Campbell County Tennessee
    Posts
    84
    i print mine out from a web site with free patterns for paper piecing it is http://www.quilterscache.com

  5. #5
    Super Member BizzieLizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,781
    Paper piecing is not difficult once you understand how it works. How about looking at these links and seeing if they make any sense. Hope this helps! Let us know how you get on. Best of luck.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2gK...eature=related

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjzaX...eature=related

    http://www.paperpiecingbasics.com/

  6. #6
    Super Member BizzieLizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,781
    Quote Originally Posted by BizzieLizzie
    Paper piecing is not difficult once you understand how it works. How about looking at these links and seeing if they make any sense. Hope this helps! Let us know how you get on. Best of luck.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2gK...eature=related

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjzaX...eature=related

    http://www.paperpiecingbasics.com/
    Found another link:

    http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQu...tingthree.html

  7. #7
    Super Member jayelee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chaumont NY
    Posts
    1,174
    Yes I get my patterns online and in many magazines but I think what you are asking is if some of us male our patterns at home without buying the special papers. Yes we do from what I can tell many of us print them out ourselves on copy paper I buy a pack of copy paper at Walmart and print my patterns out and use them all of the time It is probably a no no but it works and I am more apt to have copy paper than foundation paper around when I need it

  8. #8
    Member patriciaponder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Alabama - Cullman County
    Posts
    94
    Go to your library and check out the Carol Doak book that has her tutorial dvd included ... the 50 stars book I think. It is wonderful and will get you started!

  9. #9
    Member patriciaponder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Alabama - Cullman County
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by jayelee
    Yes I get my patterns online and in many magazines but I think what you are asking is if some of us male our patterns at home without buying the special papers. Yes we do from what I can tell many of us print them out ourselves on copy paper I buy a pack of copy paper at Walmart and print my patterns out and use them all of the time It is probably a no no but it works and I am more apt to have copy paper than foundation paper around when I need it
    I do the same as you and don't have bad results. Also, you can take the thread from your needle and stitch the lines on blank paper and not waste your printer ink. I stitch through several papers at the same time. This way you just need one or two copies printed and it's turned out to be a real savings to me!

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    OH My...that darn PPing will scare you the first few times....however, never fear...the internet is here!

    If you go http://www.quilterscache.com, Marcia has a tute on there that is great!
    I personally love Carol Doak! The real QUEEN of paper piecing!
    here is a link to her sites FREE patterns and instructions!
    http://www.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php

    I have taught Carol's way for about 8 years now, so if you have any ???? feel free to email me!
    Really, OR isn't that far from OK, how about flying on up and tutoring me? It looks terribly confusing but I keep reading how people love it and how easy it is. Well, tonight I am visiting all these suggestions you all have made. Thanks everyone for keeping me entertained.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.