Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Paper Piecing- When do YOU remove the paper?

Paper Piecing- When do YOU remove the paper?

Good Morning, I'm working on paper-pieced blocks from Betty Blais' pattern, Kimonos. I was thinking about this all night and finally decided that I should ask all of you this question. When should I remove the paper on the back of the blocks?

I haven't trimmed the blocks down to size yet.....and I know that with paper piecing the fabric grain goes in all kinds of crazy directions. If I remove the paper before trimming, there probably won't be as much distortion later. The paper is holding everything in perfect shape at the moment but when I quilt it there might be more chance of it not laying flat if I wait to remove the paper till the whole quilt is put together. What do you think?

I have 4 more blocks to go.... 20 total to make this a bed quilt instead of a wall hanging. Since I started this 5 years ago, I'm wanting to get it done and off my UFO list.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I paper pieced the Farmer's Wife Pony Club quilt--all 90+ blocks. I removed the paper after each block was completed. I kept them on my flannel design wall so they'd stay nice and flat. When it was time to sew them together, there was no distortion even tho a lot of edges were bias or off-grain.

I also pp a Storm at Sea wallhanging and didn't remove the paper until the whole thing was sewn together--what a night mare that was! It took forever to get the papers removed and was much more difficult. The results were the same-no distortion but for me, I'll remove papers after each block is complete.

That's an adorable pattern and l love your block.
    I pray for peace today and hope I don't have to tomorrow.

When I was accused of living in a fantasy world I almost fell off my unicorn.

Like JanRN, I PPd the FWS, also the PC (which JanRN also did!). I press the block, as I do each seam, trimming the seams as necessary. For the outside pieces, I always extend them beyond the seam lines marked on the paper. After all the piecing is done, I remove all the papers, and press again, with a shot or two of Best Press. Then, I do the final trimming for the outside ragged pieces, and square up accordingly.

Like JanRN, all stays nice and firm and square by removing the paper as you go. Besides, I wouldn't want the long drawn out task of removing all the papers from the whole quilt. It isn't much of a job when doing it as you go.

I'll look forward to seeing all of your Kimonos together! It must have been a fun quilt to do.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    i don't have to remove the paper as I use the fold back method of paperpiecing... love it!
    Nancy in western NY

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Beautiful block!! I remove the paper at the very end - or once a block has been attached and completely surrounded by other blocks/borders. I like to keep the 1/4" seam allowance around the outer edges for accuracy. It may not be necessary but it gives me a guide and some reassurance that I'm putting everything together correctly!
    Valerie Smith - Pumpkin Patch Quilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
    Beautiful block!! I remove the paper at the very end - or once a block has been attached and completely surrounded by other blocks/borders. I like to keep the 1/4" seam allowance around the outer edges for accuracy. It may not be necessary but it gives me a guide and some reassurance that I'm putting everything together correctly!
    This is my method as well.

I remove my paper as I finish a block. It would not be a fun job to wait and do them all at one time.
    Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!

Blog Entries
    I understand there is a new wash away kind of paper that you can run through your printer...haven't tried it yet.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i don't have to remove the paper as I use the fold back method of paperpiecing... love it!
    I've never heard of this method. Is there a tutorial somewhere?
    Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!

I leave the paper on until all the blocks are joined together. There's too much risk of stretching a block, or some part of it, if the paper is removed before all four sides are secured by stitching to the next block/sashing/border.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast