Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: paper piecing woes

Help... I am trying to paper piece and I am constantly getting the fabric overlapped or caught on the underside....soooo frustrating, I am trying to slow down and hold the fabric straight and it still happens... any suggestions. Quilter 1234

Pam
    Try it with another foot. It make just work for you.

Blog Entries
    Are you folding the paper on the lines, ALL the lines and lining the edges of the fabric with the paper folded back, then opening the paper and taking it to the sewing machine? You might use some pins to hole the fabric in place. I have to do that with the first piece all the time - use pins that is. I just pin it through the paper

I use a little bit of washable glue stick on the seam allowance. Just a little bit will hold it. Also, if you can adjust the pressure on your presser foot, raise it up a little so it's not squishing down too much. Putting a little silicone on your presser foot might help it slide across the paper better.

Sometimes the fabric will still slip and I end up ripping but for the most part the glue and raising my presser foot a smidge worked wonders.

If you're using really thin or really floppy fabric, a little starch will help.

all great ideas.... I will keep trying. Quilter1234

Another thing that may help is cut your pieces a little larger and don't line up the new unit to the edge of the unit you are sewing so you can see what the underside piece is doing. Trim it to the 1/4" after you sew it.

All great answers! Dont you just love this site!

certainly do... nothing you can't ask and get help with... I always go here first with my questions. Quilters are such wonderful ladies... quilter1234