Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paperwork >

Paperwork

Paperwork

Old 03-27-2016, 06:18 PM

Default Paperwork

Needing ideas for what to put on paperwork when someone brings a quilt in to have it done on the long arm. Name, size, thread, phone number ect. I would like to have something typed up so it can be filled out.

Thanks,
grammymj
Old 03-27-2016, 06:32 PM

I have a form that has name, address/phone #, date I received, approx. date I will have it done, size of quilt, whether customer brought bat & backing, type of quilting (and a space for a sketch), whether any special concerns or directions. And with type of quilting, I also put the cost per square inch--so that we are both clear on the type of quilting for the cost. PM me and I'll try to send you a copy.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:51 PM

I don't long arm for the public and have never had a quilt done by a professional, so these are just some of my thoughts.

Color of thread
Are you to attach the binding
Fee for ironing the quilt top
Squaring up fee after quilting
Fee for stay stitching the edge of finished quilt
Fee for setting up scalloped edges
Action to be taken if borders are ruffly. (Actually, that should be checked before you accept the quilt, in my opinion.)
Old 03-27-2016, 06:56 PM

I have a form that has ---My information Business Name, address,phone email etc.
For quilt.
Date ___, Date Due___,Name, Address, phone #Quilt Description, Thread Color, Quilting Pattern, size.

Then I have table that has the services that I offer with the price for each,
Quilting Per Sq inch. .01-
Minimum price (because sometimes it's a small item that does not qualify for per square inch) mine is $35
Batting (i order by the bolt)
Binding, making____, attaching, ____, Hand stitching (by linear in.)
Designing/Piecing __- (i also make commissioned quilts)
Backing/fabric___yardage, price ( have some bolts of basic wide backs)

Important Have them sign . Picked up by_______________ Date___
Quilted by ___________________

I keep a copy the they they take one

I hope that this might help.
Mary E
Old 03-27-2016, 07:56 PM

I have a friend who has just had a shop for a couple of years and recently she had someone she knows stiff her for the payment. I don't know all the details but it left a very bitter taste with her. So she gets all payments up front now.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:53 PM

I don't LA, I use DSM, but I really like this software & used it to come up with my own database for pricing quilts back when I did commissioned quilts. (http://www.eurekadocumentation.com/)

Customer's Information
Anticipated Delivery Date (or range)
Dimensions of Finished Quilt
Type of Quilting (panto -- if so, what design -- or custom w/ description or sketch)
Batting (type & whether provided by customer or LA)
Thread (type & color)
Backing (type & whether provided by customer or LA)
(Binding -- if any work is to be done: type & who provided it)
Any additional charges or discounts
Any applicable taxes or shipping charges

I don't often see it, but think it's really nice if it says that the LA will contact customer if it is more than $X (or X%) over the estimate. It helps put people's mind at ease knowing they won't be stuck with some huge bill they never discussed.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:28 PM

I agree with all these but should there be a cost for repairs or faults if they occur?
Old 03-28-2016, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

I created a form on Excel for all the information I needed. I also printed my invoices using Excel.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

Check your library or quilt guild to see if you can hunt up a copy of Linda Taylor's "Ultimate Guide to Longarm Machine Quilting: How to Use Any Longarm Machine Techniques, Patterns & Pantographs Starting a Business Hiring a Longarm Machine".
Lots of good info, but it looks like it's out of print.
A form should include: today's date, both names & phone numbers, quilt size in inches, description of quilting or name of panto, price per sq inch, thread to be used (color & brand), who supplies the backing and batting and prices if you are, fees for additional services (seaming backing, pressing, etc.), approximate date of completion. You should also have an estimated total cost (I'm amazed at the number of folks who don't realize how quickly $0.02/square inch can add up). Both signatures.
I would also suggest that you spend 15 minutes or so with the client when they drop the quilt off. Open it up & look at it. If you have room, lay it out on the floor. Look at the backing. I worked with a long arm quilter who insisted on doing this. A few minutes up front can save a lot of headaches, although she had customers who just wanted to hand her the top, pick out a panto and leave.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

All the above with a grid sheet to diagram the quilt design. If that's been included and I missed it, just a gentle reminder. Make it fun!