Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pass the burn creame I'm making binding strips... >

Pass the burn creame I'm making binding strips...

Pass the burn creame I'm making binding strips...

Old 12-23-2012, 07:54 AM

Default Pass the burn creame I'm making binding strips...

I've looked at those machines that make and iron binding strips for you... they advertise "no more burnt fingers!" but the reviews are not that good.

Anyone have luck with them?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:13 AM

I have used one. Begin with a pin without plastic head and attach to ironing board on right side.with theiron up point up to the thingy pull slowly with left hand. It works for me . Reverse if you are left handed.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

I have the Simplicity binding machine. I use it all the time. It irons perfectly. The bad reviews I have questioned, all have been from one or two time users of the machine. None took the time to learn to use it. It takes a little practice to get the hang of it but then it's easy. I wouldn't go back to the old way of making binding unless I had to. I use the large tip to make straight fold binding for quilts the most. The machine will fuse interfacing on ribbon, ric rac, and strips too.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:12 AM

There are rubber type finger protectors you can buy that are specifically made to protect your fingers during starch applique prep and binding making.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

there are 2 Simplicity binding machines. one is a cutter (Deluxe Rotary Cutter & Embosser) and one is an ironer (Bias Tape Maker Machine). As far as I was concerned, the original cutter was useless (never tried the newer model) and was returned. The ironer, however, is fabulous. I'm always amazed at how perfectly the binding is folded in half and pressed.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

i do not have one of those machines= been making bindings for many years--i've never burned my fingers doing it-unless it was the 1/4" bias strips for stained glass & even then not much- i'm not sure what i might do that's different- i just am not sure how/why a person burns their fingers doing it...sorry- maybe try one of those (ov-gloves) there are some other protective items that are probably much less expensive than one of the machines that may or may not work for you.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

It is so rare that I have to make bias binding anymore that I can't justify buying one. I have every size metal makers and just use those when I need to. I kind of enjoy that process myself. The only time I make it is when there is lots of curves to the edges that need bias to round the edges properly.

I use the straight of grain binding like elenore burns shows in many of her books. It doesn't have to be ironed at all. Just halved, machine applied and stitched to the other side and looks wonderful when it is finished.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 12-23-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 AM

Use a dry iron so the steam doesn't burn you, just a suggestion.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

I will always try a new way to doing something. It may be better or not but I won't know for myself until I try. I don't like dismissing something as not needed without ever trying it.

Speaking of burn cream. Next time you have your medical check up ask your Dr. to give you a prescription for Silverdine burn cream. It's the best burn cream to stop the pain of a first degree burn or small blister burn. Great for sunburn. When I worked, the welders there used it for slag burns. I keep a container of it in my fridge.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 12-23-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by kimv44 View Post
I've looked at those machines that make and iron binding strips for you... they advertise "no more burnt fingers!" but the reviews are not that good.

Anyone have luck with them?
I have the Simplicity Bias Tape Maker, which makes bias tape and binding (with the right size tip). Here's the one I have: http://www.joann.com/simplicity-bias...r/xprd1025267/

I really like it and it has saved me a lot of time. I don't mind ironing binding, but this spits out, in about 20 seconds, binding for a king size quilt. The hardest part about it is feeding the first part of the binding into the tip. That takes an additional 20 seconds. So in the space of a minute your binding is ready to go.

They now have a deluxe version which also does piping - http://www.joann.com/simplicity-delu...prd_10865723a/.

The rotary cutting machine - http://www.joann.com/simplicity-rota...e/xprd1025269/ - is a completely separate machine for strip cutting. I do not have one and can't speak to how well they work.

Hope this helps!