Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Passage Quilts....who does them >

Passage Quilts....who does them

Passage Quilts....who does them

Old 10-06-2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
Who has made Passage Quilts in the past ?????
I first heard about them here on the board yesterday and since and done some searching on the internet....there seems to be a couple different 'forms' of this concept.

One was making quilts out of the deceased persons clothing and then presenting the quilt to the surviving family.

Another was that a quilt was used to cover the body for the trip to the mortuary, the cover the casket and then be presented to the family.

The last one was that the quilter worked with a local Hospice, the quilt was given while the patient was still alive and was allowed to use during their final days, then presented to the family......

I personally like the last one, and have contacted my local Hospice (didn't even know we had one until I 'googled') asking them if they have such a program.....

I know we had a thread on here not to long ago about a casket quilt.....I am thinking this would just take it so many more steps forward.....to give comfort to the living and then to those left behind.....

I am not thinking 'Large Quilts' but more like lap size, many even some prayer shawls would be nice.....

Am anxious to here your opinions, I know this is kinda a morbid subject, but I think a very worthy cause, and feel the comfort level would be great......
I know it's not exactly the same thing, but our church has a Scripture Quilting group where we make quilts for cancer patients. They're lap quilts and they take them to their treatments. Unfortunately, sometimes they don't survive their battle and their quilts are given to family members or they're buried with them. I recently made a quilt for a friend and she just passed last month. I'm comforted with the knowledge that her quilt is now comforting her three children who were left behind. I think it's a great cause that you're considering taking up.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:32 PM

I've, also, heard them called "comfort quilts." My son recently passed away and there was a beautiful bow-tie quilt laying on him at the funeral home. This quilt was not for the family but for the next one who passes. Some places give them to the families, some places do not. In this case, I was glad to let it pass on to another.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:59 PM

I made a casket quilt for my grandma. She is 98 and lives in a nursing home. The quilt is more of a table runner size. It has her name, how many years she was married to my grandpa, that she was a mom, a grandma, a great-grandma, and a great-great-grandma. It also has a mariners compass in the middle. It turned out really nice.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:07 PM

When my mom recently passed away the Chaplin brought us a prayer shall told us the history of it, said some scripture and then presented it to us. It was laid over Mom for the scripture reading. I presented it to my dad as a final hug from MOm and it is currently at his home. They can be of great comfort to the bereaved.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:13 PM

Thank you all for all your imput, I knew this was a caring group......
will keep you updated on what the Hospice says to me the first of the week.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:34 AM

I like the last idea best, but I had to share. Probably the strangest quilt I was ever asked to make was a reversable quilt with t-shirts on one side, and her late husbands boxer shorts on the other, with a lot of photo transfers scattered throughout. I got it done for her, but for some reason it was just kind of creepy to me. I guess that warm and fuzzy feeling of sitting under a quilt and knowing it was some ones old underware, did me in! LOL!! None the less she loved it when it was done, and that's all that counts. So I hope that brought a little laugh out of a morbid subject, and I truly recommend you not going my route if possible!! hehehe...
Old 10-07-2012, 03:36 AM

We buried my mom in the last quilt she worked on and completed - a few weeks before she passed. We buried my dad in the quilt my mom made him and he kept on his bed. It was hard letting go of those two special quilts, but it meant the world to us kids to do it.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by delma_paulk View Post
Morbid or not, we are all faced with this fate. Some families find it comforting, some not so much, I guess. I am thinking of making my own....got a pattern in mind, but who should get it? I have 4 girls and helped raise one gdaughter and did raise one grandson. So I need to think this some more, I guess.

My aunt's daughter draped a quilt she made for her (made for the dau) over her casket and it was quite lovely and well received. I think its a wonderful idea and a great memory for a loved one.

delma
That is my plan also. I have my quilt made already - my Memory Quilt. Then in lieu of flowers I am going to have my most treasured quilts (that I have made) and the quilts I received from my mother and my grandmother flanking the casket. Each quilt will be labeled so people can see who made them and then there will be the book that I made with my Memory Quilt. Then they all will be given to my son and his family. I don't think anything that we plan is morbid. What's the old saying "My Quilt - My Rules"! Edie
Old 10-07-2012, 03:47 AM

Mom is in last stages of ALZ and will pass away at home. thought about making a passage quilt but instead decided to use one of the colorful sheets to cover her body as she leaves our house for the last time. Sorry...don't want that sheet back. Just MHO and each one is intitled to their own opinion. Our first son was still born and the quilt I had over his coffin is stored away and shocks every time I see it. Some pain never goes away...even after 30 years.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:01 AM

I have prepaid for my funeral, picked out my own casket, etc. I have already told my kids that I would really prefer that the family all bring their favorite quilt I have made for them and display them around the church. I haven't picked out a quilt for my casket cover, any of the ones I have kept for myself would be okay with me, they can make the decision. Although I love flowers, and gardened for many years, I have developed such an attachment to the quilts I have made that I really like this idea. We buried my dad in his western shirt, jeans, and the suede vest that he loved so much and had a lovely flower arrangement in his newest booth sitting at the end of the casket. It just seemed so appropriate and comforting to see him dressed like that. He never wore a suit, ever!