Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patrice.........Ez as falling off a log >

Patrice.........Ez as falling off a log

Patrice.........Ez as falling off a log

Old 03-21-2007, 07:09 AM

where would I find more info and picture of the file labeled EZ as falling off a log.......It looked interesting.........but I didn't understand what is going on.and what it would look like
Old 03-21-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator

it isn't a pattern. the file is just an illustration of one method for making log cabin blocks. you can use the method on any kind of log cabin. it works well for lots of other things, too. i haven't measured and cut separate pieces for a log cabin in years. i think the only time i did was for the very first one.

just sew as many of the previous patches as you can to the strip of fabric for the next one. trim them to size, open it up and sew as many of those as fit on the strip for the next one. keep going around the blocks like that until it's the size you want.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:01 AM

Hi, This looks like a bluejeans Rag Quilt. You can go on the internet and search for Rag Quilt patterns. I am sure you will find something. Rag Quilts are easy to make. Cut your number of squares and sew together allowing an inch at least for the fringe.You can sew wrong side to wrong side or right to right or half and half. You the cut your fringe after you are through sewing. Use you washer and dryer to get your fringe (1/4-3/8's)" wide. Again your choice, to fray. This is a quick quilt. You can line it and use light wt. batting. Then quilt the blocks with an 'x' or your choice of motif. Also you want to use old denium. Look for jeans at yard sales, thrift stores, etc. Also works well with flannel and homespun.
Happy Quilting :wink:
Sharon in Central Florida
Old 03-21-2007, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sharon Gail
Hi, This looks like a bluejeans Rag Quilt. You can go on the internet and search for Rag Quilt patterns. I am sure you will find something. Rag Quilts are easy to make. Cut your number of squares and sew together allowing an inch at least for the fringe.You can sew wrong side to wrong side or right to right or half and half. You the cut your fringe after you are through sewing. Use you washer and dryer to get your fringe (1/4-3/8's)" wide. Again your choice, to fray. This is a quick quilt. You can line it and use light wt. batting. Then quilt the blocks with an 'x' or your choice of motif. Also you want to use old denium. Look for jeans at yard sales, thrift stores, etc. Also works well with flannel and homespun.
Happy Quilting :wink:
Sharon in Central Florida
are you talking about the log or about ruth's avatar?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:20 AM

Thanks Patrice...you' ve given me another to work on......It's funny how the patterns they label easy can be complicated when you are still new{ 1 year in April} Thank you for making it clear
As for the avatar I made it and my wrists ached for a week.flannel next time :D
Old 03-21-2007, 08:34 AM

As for the avatar I made it and my wrists ached for a week.flannel next time
Hi Ruth - Do you have the spring loaded scissors? I haven't made a rag quilt yet, but I've heard that they are easier on your hands for all the snipping. :lol:

sue
Old 03-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
Thanks Patrice...you' ve given me another to work on......It's funny how the patterns they label easy can be complicated when you are still new{ 1 year in April} Thank you for making it clear
As for the avatar I made it and my wrists ached for a week.flannel next time :D
my very first quilt block was a 3-dimensional bow tie. i happened to catch Simply Quilts on HGTV. I'd never seen the show before but "hung around" because I realized making quilts sounded like a good way to get back to my sewing machine. i missed sewing with my mom. also, between the expense of supplies and lack of time i had given up making clothes. i went rummaging for fabric, scissors, needle and thread and made that block while the episode was still on the air. it remains a favorite of mine to this day.

my second block was either a log cabin or a pineapple, i'm pretty sure. also inspired by an SQ episode.

i made up the design for my first quilt as i went along. it just never occured to me to worry about having a pattern.

my point is to stop thinking of yourself as "new" and unskilled. the two supplies no quilter should EVER have on hand are fear and self-doubt. whether you started yesterday or 50 years ago, there are things you can do already and things you'll learn sometime down the line. just get it into your head that YOU CAN DO IT and you will be able to do it.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:56 PM

i want to know if you did that rag quilt on your picture i am doing one out of old jeans and it is so heavy and i have a hard time sewing any advice thanks dorothy from tenn
Old 03-22-2007, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by middysmom
i want to know if you did that rag quilt on your picture i am doing one out of old jeans and it is so heavy and i have a hard time sewing any advice thanks dorothy from tenn
see the thread "NEED HELP PLEASE"
Old 03-22-2007, 05:26 AM

Make sure you use a jean needle, It needs lots of support ' set your machine on a table if possible. Sew it in strips and then join. Yes get the gloves, I did not do this stuff and I didn't sew for a week. My fingers swelled and wrists ached. I thought it was the onset of arthrits. I recoved and would take care to "do it right" next time, good luck