Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pattern/block help >

pattern/block help

pattern/block help

Old 05-20-2012, 12:53 PM

Default pattern/block help

I have hit a baby blanket wall. I am needing a quilt/block pattern for a baby blanket. the quilt will be roughly 40" square when all done. I have to have it done by June 22nd and have no other project priorities right now to work on. I just don't know what I want to do with this fabric that I picked out. you guys have any ideas? I don't have to use all the fabrics but the darker purple and the brown/goldish butterfly fabric I want to use for the final borders. This I do know. what do you guys think? warm wishes and yellow brick road patterns I really don't care for. This quilt is for one of my best friends. I am making her a bedding set for the crib which I only have to hand sew the binding to the back left on that. i wanted to make her a baby quilt to have extra to use for the baby when it is little. I hope you guys are getting what I am saying. If you have a pic of the pattern or a quilt top that would be wonderful because I am very visual. Thank you I know that someone will have a top/pattern that will be perfect for me to do. (I don't do applique and curves. don't know how to do them yet)
Attached Thumbnails imag0611.jpg  
Old 05-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

wow! haven't seen too many baby blankets made with Batik's... they are beautiful...
visit Quilter's Cache and browse the blocks- they offer hundreds of free blocks in many sizes- something may catch your eye & tickle your fancy. i would do a french braid with those fabrics- but i don't know about that being a 'baby quilt' looking quilt- unless you are thinking more of a (keepsake/heirloom) quilt that will be packed away & not used?
i look forward to seeing what you come up with- what ever it is will be beautiful!
Old 05-20-2012, 01:05 PM

I don't have a pattern to suggest but your fabric is beautiful.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:05 PM

It doesn't have to be a specific "baby pattern" just a really nice pattern or block that would look good on a smaller scale. I love batiks and love how the look. when I make a crib set for a mommy where she picks the pattern and the fabrics I usually make a smaller second quilt in colors and fabrics that I love and know that she would like. which is what I am doing here.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:47 PM

Love your fabrics! How about adding a solid white and using the batiks to make an X's and O's block? Jenny Doan has a really nice tutorial on YouTube that I think you could get done with plenty of time to spare.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:27 PM

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projec...s-quilt_1.html

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/10/...ice-quilt.html

here's a couple I have saved on my computer. Check out Moda Bake shop, there are lots of great patterns there!
http://www.modabakeshop.com/
Old 05-20-2012, 04:04 PM

Don't know either but those are gorgeous fabrics, that is one lucky baby
Old 05-20-2012, 04:50 PM

What about a 10 min block?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbTHlGGKMPM
For a baby I'd use smaller squares (like 5") for the 4 squares & a double size square (10") for the centers.

Or a tube quilt.
http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/tube-tutorial-quilt/

Old 05-20-2012, 06:09 PM

I just made a flying geese baby quilt. The colors were pastels and I used a white on white background. Each flying geese was 3x6 and there were 4 rows of 15 in each row, alternating directions. Between each row of flying geese and around the sides was a 1 1/2" border, then a 4 inch border around the entire quilt. It is darling! I would send a picture but haven't figured that one out yet. It went together really quickly and was fun to do.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

I was watching Jenny over at Missouri Quilt tutorials on YouTube this morning. She demonstrated the X and O pattern and I was intrigued. She mentioned that it was a great baby quilt because who wouldn't want hugs and kisses for a baby. The pattern is super easy using 5inch squares. Give it a view and see if it would work for you.