Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern idea needed please >

Pattern idea needed please

Pattern idea needed please

Old 09-13-2012, 05:08 PM

Default Pattern idea needed please

I am going to work on two twin size quilts for my grandsons. I am using my Mom's old dresses and such for this because she passed away in November.
Can someone please suggest an idea? I was thinking of just a strip quilt, what do you all think?
Thanks ahead of time.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:17 PM

Sorry for your loss. A strip quilt would be very nice or scrappy 4 patch.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:18 PM

My condolences. The boys will like hugs from their grandmother. A rail fence would arrange the strips in a pleasing manner without too much more work.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
My condolences. The boys will like hugs from their grandmother. A rail fence would arrange the strips in a pleasing manner without too much more work.
I am new to this, what is a rail fence? a scrappy four patch?
Thanks.

Thanks for all of your condolences. I had also lost my mother-in-law a week and a day before that. November has been a bad month for us altogether. In Nov. of 2008 our house caught fire and we had to move out the Sunday before Thanksgiving. For our Mom's, one before and one after Thanksgiving.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:10 PM

For a rail fence, you cut your fabric in strips or blocks. You may not have 42 in strips from clothing, so you can cut 2 1/2" by 81/2" rectangles. Sew them together in fours (If using strips, sew four together and cut into 8 1/2 blocks.) Press before cutting and square up the block after. Now lay our your blocks turning them as you go. Sew them together in rows, press, then sew the rows together.

Here's quilterscache's - she gives good directions. Note: Hers is three strips, mine was four - You can use 3, 4 or 5. The number used and the width of the strips determines how big you cut the blocks. You want it square, not rectangular.
http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RailFenceBlock.html

I'm doing a Christmas one with five. Scappy just means non matching fabrics as opposed to buying yardage so everything matches. Using clothing, you'll be doing scrappy.

Here are some examples. You won't get that definite diagonal line using scrappy, but that's okay - or you add a solid or something that reads solid. How old are the boys? I am planning mine so I don't have the diagonal line.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rail...w=1280&bih=906
Old 09-13-2012, 06:23 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. There are so many wonderful patterns that you can use clothing for. Since you are just beginning, I'd suggest something fairly easy. Just cut a lot of blocks and start sewing them until you get the width you want. Then keep going. Any size will work.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:33 PM

Try to make the best use of the fabric in the dresses. Strips might work best if there are worn places in the dress fabric.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:07 PM

My condolences for your loss. I hope making the quilt will be a healing and enjoyable task for you.

I would consider a strip-pieced Trip Around the World. This looks like a pretty good tutorial:

http://quiltville.com/tatw.shtml

Let us know how it goes.

Darren
Old 09-15-2012, 02:51 AM

So sorry for all of your loss. Hope things will start looking up for you soon, and making the quilts will help.