Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern/Instruction Errors? >

Pattern/Instruction Errors?

Pattern/Instruction Errors?

Old 09-12-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mamaskeeto
So sorry to hear about the error. At least she emailed you right away and also is helping to correct the problem.
I was really surprised that I got an answer so quickly on a Saturday night, and to get a second email right away too. Great customer service!
Old 09-13-2009, 04:40 AM

I hope things work out without too much wasted fabric despite the wasted time. I learned long ago, to make a test block of whatever pattern, packaged or my own, that I was going to use before I cut all the fabric for a quilt. I use fabrics I don't like so much anymore, giving them a dignified purpose they would not otherwise receive. LOL The practice has saved me a great deal of time, fabric, and heartache over the years. I highly recommend it!
Old 09-13-2009, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I hope things work out without too much wasted fabric despite the wasted time. I learned long ago, to make a test block of whatever pattern, packaged or my own, that I was going to use before I cut all the fabric for a quilt. I use fabrics I don't like so much anymore, giving them a dignified purpose they would not otherwise receive. LOL The practice has saved me a great deal of time, fabric, and heartache over the years. I highly recommend it!
You make a very good point! I will do the same from now on.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:20 AM

Dittos to the "post a pic of the fabrics you need". I have a bunch of batiks and if I can help I'd be happy to.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:20 AM

Here are some pics of the finished block (now down to 6" from 8" original) and of the batiks I used.

I won't be able to decide what to do until I see what I can come up with for fabric. If I stick with the original size, I need about 1/4 or 1/3 yd of each. If I cut down the triangles to fit the trapezoid units, I will need 1/3 or 1/2 yd each because I'll have to double the quantity of blocks to make a similar size quilt. I won't be able to get to the quilt shop until next weekend. I'm not even sure where I bought them all. I shop alot online too. I think I've got enough of the yellows for the star points. But if I see some at the quilt shop, I'll get a little just in case.

I think there are a couple of Hoffman 1895's and a Moda marble in there too. Those I should be able to find.

Thanks for the help and morale support! :)

Hunter star block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]45135[/ATTACH]

Blue & green batiks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]45136[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-45135.jpe   attachment-45136.jpe  
Old 09-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Can you add an additional border to make up for the smaller blocks?
Gorgeous fabric :D
I am happy that she replied to you so soon, that was nice! 8)
Old 09-13-2009, 12:14 PM

The original pieced section would have been 48x64. The borders brought it to 60x76. The smaller pieced section would only be 36x48. It was intended for my son's twin bed. I don't think I would like it at the smaller size with extra borders.

The original also featured a pieced border (not sure what I was thinking there! LOL). I might eliminate that and do solid borders. All will depend on what I come up for fabric.

I've got to admit, it was a very frustrating experience. I put it aside for now until I get a chance to check for more fabric. I suspect I won't get it done in time for Christmas now...but he has a birthday in April.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:20 PM

I've had trouble with the Quilting Treasures patterns being off. I've done their Wizard of Oz and I Love Lucy quilts and have found errors. You learn to be creative and work through it (whether you want to or not!)

Can you add an inner border, make more trapezoid/triangle units for a 2nd border, and then add an outer border? Might look kinda cool...
Old 09-14-2009, 02:35 AM

I do the same thing Ghostrider does. I cut only one block to make sure the size and measurements are correct before cutting the whole thing out. I learned the hard way too. I sure hope you can find enough fabric to finish it. It will be beautiful. Marge
Old 09-14-2009, 04:27 PM

Well, I found 4 of the prints (out of 20 total) at my LQS, and have checked numerous (15-20) stores online. I can only get a handful of the same fabrics - but not all at the same place. It's not worth multiple shipping charges, so I'm thinking that I probably have $80-100 worth of really pretty batik scraps to use towards another quilt. Actually they will be perfect for my "Beach Cottage" quilt, so all is not lost :thumbup:

I still want to make this Hunter Star quilt, but I think might be easier to start over with new fabric. I was needing around 1/3 yd each to make up for the problem strips, and started with 1/2 yd each prior to cutting. So if I start collecting now, maybe I'll have enough do make it for Christmas 2010!

Big lesson learned ~ make a sample block first if you are unfamiliar with the quilt you are making just in case there's a problem with the pattern/template!!!