Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: pattern name

I am looking for a name of a pattern and where to find the dimensions to make it. It really simple pattern but I am so new to the quilting world I don't know what to call it. It just 3 rectangular strips sewn together to make a block. I'm trying to figure out how wide to make the strips(to account for the seam allowances so I end up with a square block out of three rectangles. Thanks.

Sounds like rail fence. Search in google for that or even here and I bet you find the dimensions. Good luck.

I guess I read your post wrong. Rail fence sounds right.

This sounds like a rail fence pattern. Cut strips 3.5"long x 1.5" wide. Sew together with an accurate 0.25" seam allowance. This should make your block 3.5 square unfinished. (Finished is when it is sewn together with another block)

Rail fence it was. Thankyou SOOO much. I am so glad I found this board! You are such a wounderful bunch of helpful people. I will post how my project turns out

Yep, sounds like rail fence to me too. If your finished block is 6 inches, you will need to cut the strips 6.5 by 2.5 each. After you sew the three strips together with a quarter inch seam your block will be 6.5 by 6.5. Once it's sewn into the quilt the block will be 6 by 6.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    That's a really good pattern for a new quilter and it comes out so pretty!!!
    Keep us posted :D

PS. I've been making quilts for years but am constantly learning new things here. The board members are fantastic!!

Quilters are so supportive of each other - that is what makes this board so great! Everyone is willing to share their knowledge and experiences with quilting.

you can make a rail fence block almost any size you want...just make sure that the size of the finished block can be divided by three in a way that you can find the measurement on a quilters ruler. For example, two posters wrote about the 6 inch and 4 1/2 finished sizes...you can make it 12 inch finished if you want...Once you decide on the finished size of the block, divide that number by three to get the finished size of each strip...then to cut the strips, add one half inch for seam allowances.

Blog Entries
    rail fence (here is a video to watch)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-9qG-XZTJM

Quote Originally Posted by pester
    I am looking for a name of a pattern and where to find the dimensions to make it. It really simple pattern but I am so new to the quilting world I don't know what to call it. It just 3 rectangular strips sewn together to make a block. I'm trying to figure out how wide to make the strips(to account for the seam allowances so I end up with a square block out of three rectangles. Thanks.