Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern sharing >

Pattern sharing

Pattern sharing

Old 03-16-2014, 01:21 PM

Default Pattern sharing

I just returned from an out of town retreat that I attend twice a year. There is a woman that always attends. I do not know her other than attending the same retreat. Twice now, she has asked if she could borrow two different patterns. I made an excuse and put her off without wanting to hurt her feelings. She also asked my friend if she could borrow a book that she had at the last retreat. I also over-heard her ask someone else if she could borrow her book. At the last retreat she even asked the store owner if she could borrow her copier to copy the pattern I would not let her take. What is everyone's take on loaning books and patterns? I do not borrow patterns, as I do not want the responsibility of returning them.. I will write down the name and author and buy my own. I am reluctant to loan out books and patterns. I don't think it is right to copy patterns and books as people are trying to make money on them. I have had other people ask me for patterns. I have tried to offer the name and author, but some people act like they should be able to get things for free. I do loan patterns to good friends and sisters, as I know I can get them back. How do others handle this situation?
Old 03-16-2014, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

It is a copyright violation to make copies of a book or pattern. It is legal to sell them, or give them away, as long as no copies are made. If you look at loaning as giving away with the expectation that it will be given back, then I suppose that's legal too, certainly with books and probably with patterns as well. I don't mind loaning books to friends, although it's with the expectation (on both our parts) that they will buy the book if they like it, and that they will return it when they're finished looking at it. Loaning a pattern has never come up. It sounds like this woman is just cheap, and it's tacky of her to continually ask others for the use of the things they have purchased. I would just tell her that I have need of the item and can't let it go, and if she asks about making a copy then tell her that it would be a clear violation of the copyright, and you don't care to break the law, nor should she ask you to. That is what the shop owner should have said. I wouldn't worry about hurting her feelings.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

I think that is why I prefer to play with patterns that I can find online for free. I do not have to worry if I am hurting anyone when I use them, or give them away.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

If she can afford to come to the retreat, then she can afford to buy her supplies like everyone else. I will not copy patterns but will lend a pattern or book to a close personal friend. Someone I won't mind reminding I need it back.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:51 PM

Since she is not someone you are friends with I would also find her requests rather brash and decline her request. I don't mind sharing with close friends though..
Old 03-16-2014, 04:22 PM

My response would be, "I don't loan out books because I really can't monitor who has what and I choose not to do that. Copying patterns and book pages goes against copywrite laws . Maybe you weren't aware of that fact? "
Old 03-16-2014, 04:25 PM

No loaning or copying to anybody by me. Burnt too many times. Even friends don't take care of things the same way. i had to pay for my copy. That person can do the same.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:26 PM

The shop owner needs to help her understand copyright laws.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:30 PM

If you are at a retreat how will she return these items ? I purchase my own books and patterns? Books because I am a bookaholic and patterns to add to my must do list.it also means I go at myave even if it a few years.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

I don't like to be around cheap people. When someone asks me to borrow a quilt pattern or book I ask Can you not afford to buy it? That question catches them off guard. You can't offend these type of people.