Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: pattern

Jan

hi everybody, hope your day was good. It was 75 today spring hopefully is here!!!! thank you to the 2 gals who welcomed me. Could somebody tell me how to make a rag quilt and a string quilt? Thanks Have a great week. Jan :lol:

Here is your rag quilt directions

http://www.luvtosew.com/ragquilt.htm

And here is a good site for string quilts

http://quiltville.com/stringquiltingprimer.shtml
    If you have any ques feel free to ask..and have fun :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by Jan
    hi everybody, hope your day was good. It was 75 today spring hopefully is here!!!! thank you to the 2 gals who welcomed me. Could somebody tell me how to make a rag quilt and a string quilt? Thanks Have a great week. Jan :lol:
    Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday, Dear Jan, Happy Birthday to you. :lol: That's the best singing I can do.

String quilts are made in a variety of ways. Here is one my SIL made.
    Attached Images Attached Images

why is it called a string quilt?

It is called a string quilt because you construct it with the strings of fabric left when you cut out clothing patterns, those long thin pieces that you wind up with along the edges of the fabric. It is a quick way to make a quilt without too much piecing.

Jan

Thank you ruthie and Norah for answering my questions!!! I may be back to ask more of you guys later! Have a great week and thanks again! :D Jan

Thanks for the websites I just brosed them and fell in love with the simplicity of the patterns! :lol: Thanks you so much from someone who loves the look of the ragged quilt but did not know how to make!

tonhutch if you will do a search on this site there are several thread that describe how to make a rag quilt. I have made two and am working on my third one. I just made the first one a week and a half ago. They are very easy to make. I used 7 inch squares and cut all three fabrics the same size (cotton front, flannel middle and cotton back). If you use a 7 in sq or smaller you don't even have to quilt the x thru the block. I posted a pic of my first rag quilt on here.