Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pattern for u-shaped masectomy comfort pillow

Recently a friend of my son's 35 year old daughter was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer and both breasts had to be removed. I have made the "bone" shaped comfort pillows, but I've heard there is a u-shaped comfort pillow that ribbons can be attached too for over the shoulder, making it easier for the patient. There is going to be a benefit on the 16th of this month and I would love the help of this wonderful board in obtaining any help you could give. Thanks and GOD bless.

Have you looked at the pattern books at the sewing stores? Maybe a pattern there would be similar enough.

How wonderful that you want to help out this cause in this way!

Hope you find one!

Quote Originally Posted by judikay
    Recently a friend of my son's 35 year old daughter was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer and both breasts had to be removed. I have made the "bone" shaped comfort pillows, but I've heard there is a u-shaped comfort pillow that ribbons can be attached too for over the shoulder, making it easier for the patient. There is going to be a benefit on the 16th of this month and I would love the help of this wonderful board in obtaining any help you could give. Thanks and GOD bless.
    Have you looked at the U shaped nursing pillows? I would think they are similar.

I have the pattern, will be glad to share with you. I downloaded it as a freebie, but can't remember where.
    I used knit fabric. In fact I had nice cotton knit shirt with a stain, not wearable. Was able to get the pillow
    from the back of the shirt.

See if this is what you have in mind.

http://www.heartpillow.dk/

The hospital where i had my mastectomy gave me one to use while in the hospital and allowed me to take it home. Maybe your local hosp. would give you one to use as a pattern. They are no wheres near as big as a nursing pillow. They fit under the arm with the points of the "U" facing upward. They act as a comfortable place to rest the arm down against your side becasue there are usually drains under the arm where lymph nodes are removed. My best suggestion would be make sure it is easily washable because it may get some drainage fluid on it.
    What a nice thing to do for this woman. I hope all turns out well for her but she does have a fight ahead of her.