Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterns for doggie beds >

Patterns for doggie beds

Patterns for doggie beds

Old 05-26-2012, 08:33 AM

Default Patterns for doggie beds

I am looking for a free pattern for a doggie bed that I found online a while back. The site I bookmarked for it is gone now. Does anyone know the one I'm talking about? It was a circle shaped, quilted, made from scraps , real easy to make.

All my doggies need new beds and I need to use up some scraps. I may wind up having to go to Walmart and buying one if I can't find one online. I'm terrible without a pattern, but I may could remember it if I knew the dimensions.

Does anyone know of a free online pattern?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

I don't know of a pattern but it would think you could just start sewing your scraps to a circle or square of your desired dimensions and then use a back of the same size. Sew around the edges leaving an opening to turn, stuff with polyfill or quilt batting, then sew opening closed. Use carpet thread or button thread to make tufts (like a quilt that is tied instead of machine quilted).
Old 05-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

One of the three main pattern companies have the doggy beds. I am thinking mcCalls?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:48 AM

I make dog beds (did one for a friend and now am making more, for other friends) and made my own pattern (from brown kraft paper), which consists of a large circle. How big it needs to be, depends upon the size of your dog(s). If you're going to piece the top, I recommend backing it and top stitching to that backing. IF the dogs scratch loose a seam, the backing will hold it together.

I just made a large quilt block, then added fabric around it, to accommodate a large circle. I also made a fleece-lined "pocket" on the bed, since most dachshunds like to burrow.

If your dogs are on the small side, you can also make sturdy pillow cases (fasten at open end, with velcro) and use old pillows, instead of stuffing.

Last edited by Neesie; 05-26-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Boy was I wrong! It was Kwick Sew pattern company....

http://kwiksew.mccall.com/pets-pages-3363.php
Old 05-26-2012, 11:08 AM

Thanks, everyone! OMG, RedGarnet, I loooooove that site!!! My cats love those tunnel things, I had never thought of making one, now I will.

I think I will basically just do big square pillows, it will be much easier to just do do them.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:29 PM

You should also check out TipNut. On this page she has 14 free patterns and tutorials for doggie beds.

http://tipnut.com/pet-beds/

And Craftster has a free pattern for a fleece doggie bed. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=236744.0
Old 05-26-2012, 04:23 PM

Here's one from Moda bake shop http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/01/poochie-pillow.html
Old 05-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

Someone posted a while back on dog beds they had made from fleece. I think it had a link to a pattern? Maybe someone else will remember the title. It was basically 2 circles of fleece, one smaller than the other that you tied together and stuffed. It was very simple. I found it!!! It was posted by onaemtnest under "Super easy~wonderful cat or dog bed tutorial.

Last edited by Tartan; 05-26-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I make dog beds (did one for a friend and now am making more, for other friends) and made my own pattern (from brown kraft paper), which consists of a large circle. How big it needs to be, depends upon the size of your dog(s). If you're going to piece the top, I recommend backing it and top stitching to that backing. IF the dogs scratch loose a seam, the backing will hold it together.

I just made a large quilt block, then added fabric around it, to accommodate a large circle. I also made a fleece-lined "pocket" on the bed, since most dachshunds like to burrow.

If your dogs are on the small side, you can also make sturdy pillow cases (fasten at open end, with velcro) and use old pillows, instead of stuffing.
When I first read this post, yours were the first doggie beds I thought of. They are so cute!