Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterns....Help >

Patterns....Help

Patterns....Help

Old 12-05-2010, 07:32 AM

Do any of you gals have an innovative way of storing patterns? I have a file cabinet for them but it is in the bedroom not the sewing room so most of my patterns never make it there.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:37 AM

I'm new to quilting but so far I've been using binders with page protecters for my patterns. I have one for patterns I've made and a bigger one for ones I want to make. When I want to make something I just start flipping thru the binder til something catches my eye then I can take it out of the binder and keep it all together in one place while making the quilt and when I'm done I move it to the other one. Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:39 AM

I love this idea
Originally Posted by Missysgottohelp
I'm new to quilting but so far I've been using binders with page protecters for my patterns. I have one for patterns I've made and a bigger one for ones I want to make. When I want to make something I just start flipping thru the binder til something catches my eye then I can take it out of the binder and keep it all together in one place while making the quilt and when I'm done I move it to the other one. Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:44 AM

That is a great idea. A mobile file. Thanks for the idea
Old 12-05-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Missysgottohelp
I do this too. Sometimes I put a binder in a tote bag and take it with me when I am going to some place like Lancaster, PA.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:23 AM

I use a binder for downloaded patterns & a basket with handle for bought ones.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:25 AM

I bought pattern boxes from Nancy's Notions. They hold several patterns upright so easy to thumb through and find what your looking for. :thumbup:
Old 12-05-2010, 11:39 AM

When I take a pattern from the envelope and open it up, I can never return it neatly into the same envelope. So now I cut off the front and back of the envelope and tape them to a big flapped mailer with the string and round to wind it around. It is large enough to slide any pattern inside and keep it upright in a file cabinet or plastic tote. Then I write out Rolodex cards so I can find what I want. Like..Cape, knee length, and then put this card in the C folder.
Now all I have to do is finish a few lap quilts and maybe get around to making some of the many patterns for garments that I have collected over the years. Or get rid of lots of patterns.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:39 PM

Great ideas , everyone. i am organizing my sewing room because my new little FW arrives this week.