Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterns for paper pieced tumbling blocks >

Patterns for paper pieced tumbling blocks

Patterns for paper pieced tumbling blocks

Old 09-23-2009, 09:05 AM

As many of you probably have read, I will be flying to New Zealand to visit my DD and DSIL next month. I hate to fly and this involves about 20 hours of same. I want to take a hand project with me to keep my mind off the fact that I am 50,000 in the air in a metal tube (did I mention that I hate heights and am mildly claustrophobic?) lol

Anyhow, I have mylar templates for the grandmothers flower garden pieces, but would like to do something different. I have always been fascinated with the tumbling blocks pattern and I am sure there must be patterns out there to paper piece it. Any help would be appreciated. Also, do you know if there are mylar templates out there for it? or a place where I can download pages of the paper pieces and then cut them out.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:32 AM

Check out airline restrictions. I was told I could not take scissors or needles or pins
Just a thought :D :D :D :D
Old 09-23-2009, 10:02 AM

I would listen to bebe....you are not allowed to take almost anything with you on board....
I am traveling with few magazines....you may want to study (while hight up in the clouds) some new patterns....or read some interesting reviews about new machines...
Whatever...have a nice trip... It is a long flight and you will be really tired after few hours....(They are showing movies too)
Have fun
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by bebe
Check out airline restrictions. I was told I could not take scissors or needles or pins
Just a thought :D :D :D :D
Bebe..You looking good (the dog too)... :lol:
Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 AM

Needles are allowed on planes as well as scissors that have a blade shorter that 4 inches.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:39 AM

Needles are allowed on planes as well as scissors that have a blade shorter that 4 inches.
My husband had a money clip taken away from him that had a small 1" blade in it for his fingernails. Maybe if you don't take any scissors with you that you "carry on". You may be able to pack it in luggage that is "checked" in.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

To clip threads buy the round thread cutter disc and wear it as a necklace. Put your needles on a small piece of cloth in a ziploc bag in your purse. The fabric, paper pieces, and thimble can be in a separate tote. Pre cut your fabric so you won't need scissors on the plane. Call the airline you are using and ask exactly what will and will not be allowed. Domestic flights seem to have different rules.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

I did a building block quilt but not paper-pieced. It would be a good hand project. Read somewhere that dental floss containers make good thread cutters. Just don't confuse the "thread"
Old 09-23-2009, 02:49 PM

I took my paper-piecing project with me on the plane to England this summer and had no problems with the sewing needles and pins going through security. Heathrow airport was very strict, too, we all had to take off our shoes and they were confiscating water bottles. For cutting thread, I had a box of dental floss in my toiletries bag - the little cutter on the dental floss box works great for thread - someone here gave me that tip!

You should double check the regulation son the website for the airline that you will be flying with, and/or the airport you will be flying from, but a small sewing kit is allowed under the current FAA security guidelines.

Jan

Old 09-23-2009, 03:27 PM

Good idea Bellaboo I had to be careful when I traveled to Penn.