Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Patterns for Silk Dupioni Quilt

Quote Originally Posted by maine ladybug
    My avatar is made of dupioni silk entirely. I used a very thin fusable on the back of the silk before I cut my pieces. After that I didn't do anything differently than I would on any quilt.
    How was your top quilted, By hand or by machine, and were there any issues with either method. Have you washed the quilt since its completeion? If ya did was it dry cleaned, hand washed, or some other method?
    Thanks
    Mikki

Thanks Grambi, they are almost all my designs. The log cabin and one other were adapted from antique quilts. The embroidered alphabet is from a pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by edensgaite
    Quote Originally Posted by maine ladybug
    My avatar is made of dupioni silk entirely. I used a very thin fusable on the back of the silk before I cut my pieces. After that I didn't do anything differently than I would on any quilt.
    How was your top quilted, By hand or by machine, and were there any issues with either method. Have you washed the quilt since its completeion? If ya did was it dry cleaned, hand washed, or some other method?
    Thanks
    Mikki
    I pieced and quilted it on my home machine. I didn't have any issues doing so. I haven't needed to clean it as it's hanging on my sewing room wall and it doesn't get dirty there. Don't know how I would clean it if needed, sorry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbury
    Hi, Here is a link to some of my quilts made out of silk dupioni. The first ten are silk, the rest are cotton. I use fray check on all the cut edges. The applique ones were turned edge applique and it is a lot harder to get a smooth edge than with cotton. I had to outline embroider the edges to make it look smooth. It is pretty easy to do paper piecing with silk dupioni. I think Amish style patterns look nice and even when you use a traditional pattern it looks really contemporary with silk.
    http://s1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc483/sunbury3/
    I hope this works! I just learned how to link something.
    Wow! Those are beautiful! I am not into so much work. I am not that proficient at quilting yet to try something that complicated. Now that I have the long arm I want to be able to try some art quilts using fabrics and threads to lend texture. Not for a while though.

Blog Entries
    I used the fusible batting on the back of my silk and then just zigzagged around the edges of the squares so I could embroider on them. If you aren't doing any embroidery you can skip this step.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6