Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterns >

Patterns

Patterns

Old 08-30-2011, 01:22 PM

I have some Disney Cars fabric that I want to make into a quilt for my grandson. Does anyone have any pattern suggestions? The cars on the fabric are fairly large so I need something that would fit without having to fussy cut the pieces. Thank you
Old 08-30-2011, 01:25 PM

The BQ pattern might be nice. It is made for large prints. Or Focus Pocus ; that is nice to for larger prints.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:25 PM

Here's a search. There are a lot of different ones!http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....s+quilt&u=&s=0
Old 08-30-2011, 01:41 PM

I used a similar fabric years ago, cut 10" (maybe 8"?)squares and surrounded them with different colors of solid 2 1/2" strips. Set them so that each color of the surround-strips went diagonally, and then put on two borders---thin and then thick. Backed it with fleece, did a little quilting, and my middle grandson loves it!!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 01:50 PM

When I have worked with the large fussy cuts, I sometimes like to do an inner border of a reads solid and then stripes in a piano keys type arrangement.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:05 PM

Warm Wishes is another good pattern for fussy cutting special fabrics.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:03 PM

Thank you, now I have some options.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:01 AM

Try www.sidelightquiltpatterns.com or the Robert Kaufman web site for good ideas for using large print fabric to its best appearance. The cars would be cut up if put into squares but you would get the full benefit of the design if it were left whole.
These patterns are for panels but do justice to large prints.

Carol J.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Carol J.
Try www.sidelightquiltpatterns.com or the Robert Kaufman web site for good ideas for using large print fabric to its best appearance. The cars would be cut up if put into squares but you would get the full benefit of the design if it were left whole.
These patterns are for panels but do justice to large prints.

Carol J.
Thanks SO much Carol for posting the Robert Kaufman website. I have been "designing" for 2 days a large panels quilt and don't like anything I have come up with. I have all of the fabrics and soon want to get it started. STILL working on the bag for my grandaughter and cutting the seams of my biscuit/rag quilt...LOL. My swimming pool is my #1 priority in the summer. And since summer is winding down quickly I want to get as much pool time in as possible. Anyway...I looked through all of the patterns and found something that will be perfect for my panel quilt. Now I can stop trying to wrap my brain around the other ideas I had and move on to what I need to finish before I start the Christmas panel quilt.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO happy now.

:D
Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 AM

I have two deer panels to use and bought the pattern at Material Matters in Cedarburg WI. My DD needed one for an Oriental panel so this site has several ideas on how to use them to best show them off.
Looked on a PA map for Dillsburg, we won't get to PA this summer. My DH is from the Lock Haven area,lots of family up there.
Happy quilting.

Carol J.