Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paying Guild Members Who Teach >

Paying Guild Members Who Teach

Paying Guild Members Who Teach

Old 02-26-2017, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
Yes, one of our guild members who regularly teaches ran a couple of classes at our quilt show. She attracted full classes which made our show a bigger success. She charged $250.
what was the class on, how long, did it include supplies.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
If she is a certified teacher and this is her normal fee, and the guild approves it, then yes, she should receive her normal fee. As a guild member, she might would consider discounting her fees, but doesn't have to. I am assuming that this is for an all day or a two day class of something fairly difficult or unique.
"Certified teacher". By whom?
Old 02-26-2017, 04:35 AM

I have taught classes for my guild and considered it a privilege to share a skill with them. I did not want to be paid, just thanked for doing it. I believe it is a contribution to the overall effort of the guild. The officers and committees serve without payment and they work hard. Others do the work of charitable projects without payment. Now, sometimes, we have outside people and noted speakers and teachers come and that is a very different thing. We pay them, provide housing,etc.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
Do you believe it is unethical for a guild officer to receive payment of $250 to $350 to run a class of 8 to 10 guild members?
We have some excellent quilters in our guild. One of them won 1st place in the category at Paducah. We have never had a guild member charge for teaching. They feel it is an honor to share their knowledge with other quilters. We have about 50 members in our guild. We feel it is a way of contributing to this special art. IMHO
Old 02-26-2017, 05:41 AM

I believe ours pays $100 per class. We pay $10 or $15 for the class with a 20 person limit, so the guild still makes money too.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:24 AM

When I go to teach my 2 hour sewing machine maintenance class at a guild, yes, I get paid about $60. If I do a small demo at guild, then no, I do it as a guild member.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:04 AM

To avoid any situations (and we all know that will happen), it should be in your by-laws. You should define what a teacher is (as opposed to a quilting day where folks are just assisting each other). It should also state what compensation a teacher should receive. The amount does not have to be listed, just if it is to be a gift card/present or a monetary amount to be determined and voted on by the current board. If your bylaws do not have a provision, the current board can vote for an amendment to be added. At this point, anyone filling the criteria of the teacher, is considered a teacher, whether they are a member, an officer or an outside person. But, when that member or officer is teaching the class, they are doing so as a teacher, not as an officer.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:13 AM

Our guild doesn't pay members who teach at guild. Members who teach at retreat do get a really good discount on their retreat fee.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:40 AM

Members used to be paid $25 to teach a full class, which is held apart from the guild meeting. Most donate the money back to to the guild. I have taught twice but was not paid. I think member teachers should be reimbursed for their materials. I know running off a pattern for example can get price. Least anyone ask, they are my own patterns, not someone's copyright material. I have also put together practice sets for students, which cost me.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:31 AM

GeriB,
The classes were 45 minutes each, 2 classes. They were basically a trunk show with 40-50 antique quilts. She taught at the Shipshewana quilt show and got quite a bit more. Her class was wonderful. It brought people to our quilt show just to hear her.