Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paying for the quilting >

Paying for the quilting

Paying for the quilting

Old 12-13-2011, 12:27 PM

quilting one yourself is not that hard... just overwhelming when it's your first one and that big. I hand quilt all of mine, but you can also tie your quilts... that is the quickest and easiest way to finish a quilt. watchinb videos on youtube or taking a few classes will definately help! Encourage her that she can do it!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:37 PM

I apologize if I'm wrong, but her not having asked, but you, I'm picking up a 'you should do this yourself, and not pay someone else' vibe from you. $170 is certainly in the ball park of a fair price, and of course the binding would be extra. Longarm quilters do not routinely bind a quilt unless that is a service that is requested. And $30 for the time involved is not unreasonable. Binding is not as difficult to do on a domestic machine as quilting. Putting together a queen size quilt can be done at home, but it's a pain. You have to have enough space to at least accommodate the length and a portion of the width. Some quilters like to own the whole process, so that it's ALL theirs, but after quilting for 25+ years on my home machine, I am more than happy to let the quilting be done by a professional. I just dropped off a quilt top today, and I remarked that it's like Christmas when I get it back, all ready to be bound!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

How much per hour are YOU willing to work for?
Old 12-13-2011, 12:56 PM

What I am going to tell you is true but shocking. The price I pay for a queen size is $60.00. A lot of people mail their quilts to her and she does nice work. This is true.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:05 PM

Well, I am working on my third quilt to hand quilt and I am in the process of hand quilting 2 of them at the same time. That is always an option. The Amish in Ohio do some beautiful hand quilting if you would like to check that out. It would probably take 2-4 months to get it completed and cost a great deal more. However, they do beautiful work.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:17 PM

I just paid $70 to have a double size, long arm quilted but I am doing the binding My self.
I live in N Ky.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:47 PM

And did your wife tell how she wanted it quilted ("custom" quilting costs more than "edge to edge" which is same pattern all over, over and over down the quilt) ? I do charity quilts for my guild free, but charge everyone else - by the square inch and she should ask first so nothing is a surprise. Once the quilt is quilted I personally love to sew on the binding (on top) and do the last step of sewing the binding on the back by hand. I say my "good-byes" to my quilts that way.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:25 PM

This sounds like a reasonable price to me as well. Binding for a queen size quilt takes hours. $20 for that is as cheap as chips. I'm sure there are many women on this board who would gladly pay to have it done for $20. Like the others on this board have mentioned quilting a large queen size quilt on a regular size sewing machine isn't easy. It can be done but sometimes with unfavorable results even for the most experience quilter. Personally I don't quilt anything larger than a double on my sewing machine. For me it's just too difficult. Have your wife join our board. The people here are a wealth of knowledge. But the best patr is... It's free.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:24 PM

I have basted quilts with the Sharon Schambers method and it is easy. To me, after you have the basting done, the worst part is over. I enjoy the whole quilting process and have never sent one out to be quilted. I enjoy both hand quilting and machine quilting and I enjoy putting on the binding also. Good luck to your wife.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:02 PM

I have not paid that high of a price to have a queen size quilt done. However, if you want it the same from side to side - end to end it's usually 1 to 1 1/2 cents per square inch. If you want nicer quilting - say some stippling - perhaps up to 2 cents per square inch. If you want really great custom quilting where the quilter is basically creating an heirloom for you - it can go 3 to 3 1/2 cents and up from there depending on the complexity of the pattern. I have done stippling and other basic quilting on my machine at home, but nothing bigger than a lap quilt. Any bigger than that, my DH is glad to pay to finish it or he'll have to hear me swearing, complaining that my back hurts, and helping me rip out my mistakes. My pleasure is entirely in the piecing portion of the quilt. I will tell you though, my husband really likes when I make them start to finish. p.s. She can learn to do the binding fairly easily and that saves some money. Just do it when it comes back from the quilter. Urge her to practice and maybe join the "Doll quilt" swaps here on the board. They are a great way to learn and practice her quilting. And for you: "Welcome to the world of quilting". Let her make you proud and encourage every aspect of her new found hobby - a happy wife - a happy life". Hugs