Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pearl Cotton Quilting >

Pearl Cotton Quilting

Pearl Cotton Quilting

Old 10-01-2013, 07:34 AM

Thumbs up Pearl Cotton Quilting

Have any of you been checking on this pearl cotton quilting on the Internet? I have and think it is very pretty and the needles sizes r different then quilting needles and what I like most about it is how it stands out from regular quitting the stitches r so much larger it makes the block jump out at u. I think I am going to try it. Do any of u do this pearl cotton quilting and have anything we could c. Any info anyone has would be interesting.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:49 AM

i have not tried this but it would certainly make a nice alternative for some quilts. if i ever hand quilt i will have to try this.

i did recently see a video where the quilter was using #12 thread for machine quilting. i am going to try that someday.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:58 AM

Isn't that the same as big stitch quilting?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 AM

I think what you are describing is what is called Big Stitch. There was a segment on Simply Quilts years ago wherein Billie Lauder describes Big Stitch and gives you all the information you need to do this kind of quilting. I don't know if you can google the old Simply Quilt shows or not, but if you can't, I have the show on tape. If you have a VCR, I would be happy to send you the tape if you promise to return it. Since seeing this show 6 or 7 years ago, I have done nothing but Big Stitch. It is so much quicker than regular hand quilting and looks great, particularly on baby quilts. PM me if you want to see the tape.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:38 AM

Tks. Bookish I only have a blu-ray/dvd player but will do some research on GOOGLE. I know if I type in Perle cotton quilting or pearl cotton I get a lot of how to do this, thinking about trying it on grandson quilt I just made for him, have to go to Jo-Ann's this Thursday & will pick up some perle cotton no#8 what all the websites tell u to use & sharp needles 5-10 or chenille needles will check those out when I go into town. Tks. anyway.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:44 AM

Good luck! You'll be amazed at how fast it goes and I think you'll be very happy with the results.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:47 AM

Oops! Just reread your post. Billie Lauder recommends between needles 5-10. Don't know if the sharps work as well.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:54 AM

A friend did it on a bright orange modern quilt. She used the new Sulky 12 weight thread which is just like the smaller perle cotton but stonger and without separate strands. Was lovely and she said it was easy to do the Big Stitch with it.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by wantanaquilt View Post
Have any of you been checking on this pearl cotton quilting on the Internet? I have and think it is very pretty and the needles sizes r different then quilting needles and what I like most about it is how it stands out from regular quitting the stitches r so much larger it makes the block jump out at u. I think I am going to try it. Do any of u do this pearl cotton quilting and have anything we could c. Any info anyone has would be interesting.
I've been "collecting" perle cotton in various colors for a while now with the intention to quilt with it, but it has not happened yet. No, I take that back. I did use some perle cotton on a T-shirt quilt for outlining some of the blocks since using regular quilting thread and needle was just too difficult. I would, however, love to do a whole quilt with it someday soon.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:37 AM

I'm currently working on a project with perle cotton #8 which I was able to find on a spool. Haven't found a source for the #12.