Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pedal foot pain? >

Pedal foot pain?

Pedal foot pain?

Old 05-19-2010, 11:02 AM

My pedal in on a book off the floor that is level with the chair's wheel on which I rest my foot. Does that make sense to you? I was having the same pain and now I don't. I think it has to do w/ your knee position also.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
I did a search on foot pain and all I came up with are sewing machine 'feet'. I am experiencing pain on the upper side of my right (pedal) foot. All I can think of is that the Sunday/Monday sewathon did me in. Anyone else experience this type of foot pain. I can hardly bend my foot for the pain in that joint. I've tried icing it and arnica cream. I'm going to rest it again today and if it's not better, will have to go see the doc. I may have to learn to use the left foot (notice I'm not giving up sewing.) Driving a car is a different story.
where on the top of your foot is the pain? nearer the ankle? might be a little tendonitis, R-I-C-E ( rest, ice,confine( constrict?) exercise) should work, then some strenghtening exercises. And put your rubber gloves under your pedal to help keep it in one place on hard surfaces.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 AM

Sewathon? Sounds kind of like a bad case of sore muscles to me. Did it get worse and stiffer on the second day? That would be typical. :)

I'd give it a couple of days more before I go see a doc. Rest, gentle massage, gentle warmth and very gentle exercise (wriggling tenderly) help the muscles cope if that's all it is.

And just a suggestion for the future, I've see somewhere online it was recommended a phone book under the heel, to ease the muscle strain when sewing/quilting for long stretches. I do that now and find it much easier on my foot and shin muscles.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
I have not found a sure fire way to keep the pedal from moving around.
I am sorry you are having pain. I have noticed that pain in my ankle if I tip toe on the pedal. If my foot touches the floor and the pedal I do not get the pain.
This is shelf paper. I don't remember the brand but any would do. It is the kind that prevents sliding. We used it in the RV and it worked like a charm. It isn't expensive and a piece
of it on the floor under your presser foot would keep the foot from sliding. Hang it there. Oh, have you tried 'Goo'? Walmart has it in the pharmacy section. It is very good for the repetition pain we get from sewing. I keep it in my sewing room so I am tempted to use it when I feel the pain rather than waiting until later and forgetting to use it.
Good luck.

Shelf paper will keep the presser foot from sliding
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70232[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-70227.jpe  
Old 05-19-2010, 12:23 PM

I was getting this pain recently also. I've noticed that it seems to occur mostly when my foot is in the "up" position for an extended length of time. Even if I'm not depressing the pedal, my foot is often still resting on the pedal. I now make sure to stretch my foot every 15-20 minutes or so. Very easy - I simply take my foot off the pedal and tuck it under my chair so the tops of my toes are on the floor. Hold it there for a short time. This gives a nice stretch to the top of the foot and has helped SO much.

To keep my pedal from moving around on the carpet, I put a silicone hotpad under it. It does a great job.

Good luck and I hope your pain is resolved soon!
Old 05-19-2010, 04:21 PM

thanks for all the good ideas. DSB, I actually have that material and have used it as shelf liner. I don;t know why it didn't occur to me to use as a mat for the pedal. As I've walked around on my foot today, it is actually feeling better, but these are all good ideas. Thanks all.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:07 PM

I sew with my foot pedal backwards. I step down on it with my heal instead of pushing it like the gas pedal in the car. I don't know why I have pretty much always sewn this way. But boy I can tell if I haven't sewn in a while. It gives your calf muscle a real workout! lol
Old 05-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Google Goddess

hope you are feeling better
Old 05-20-2010, 04:09 AM

I have carpet under my sewing cabinet. so I used the stick on velco on the bottom of the pedal, loopy side. Helps a lot, but you need to use a needle once in awhile to clean out threads!
Old 05-20-2010, 05:55 AM

Yes, yes!! I have that pain, too. And I thought I was the only one. What a relief. I have switched to my left foot to sew and that helps. I even went to the chiropractor about this. Of course, that didn't help when I was still using my right foot.