Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Penny rug question >

Penny rug question

Penny rug question

Old 11-29-2011, 07:14 AM

Default Penny rug question

Can someone please tell me how to attach the round penny's to the larger round center part? My middle circle is 8" with a flag and I'm making 2" circles with a 1 1/2" circle on top as pennys to attach to the larger circle, not on the circle but on the edge. I will have an 8" back for the center and a 2" back for each penny ... making the center 2 layers and the penny's 3 layers. How and when do I attach the pennys? Before I put the backing on or as the last step after all the layers are done? What kind of stitch do I use? I've tried to google this and am not using the right words. I can find out how you attach the tongue kind of tab between the center layers but not the circles. I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that you use a whip stitch (whatever that is LOL) but I don't remember when you add them. Can anyone help?

Thanks bunches
Suzy
Old 11-29-2011, 03:13 PM

Since no one seems to be answering you, I can look it up in the book called Pennies from Heaven. I'll look tonight after dinner etc. and get back to you. I don't care for this new format, don't feel I can get help as readily. But then there are 100's of replies to silly and not relevant items on the MAIN threads.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:32 PM

Hi, this is what I have done on a snowman penny rug. After I finished sewing the top and bottom pieces together, I sewed the penny's on with about 3 stitches done with invisible thread.Just run the thread thru the backing and come out at each penny. I also attached them side to side with a couple of stitches. Makes everything nice and secure. Hope this helps. You can also join a group on Yahoo that is about working with wool and woolfelt.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

you can add them before the backing- but it will probably be easier to back the penny's first- just hold them in place (right sides together- and whip stitch them into place with a few stitches-then fold them out flat. or you can use a blanket stitch- running one part the large piece- the stick's into the penny's- i will try to take some pictures and do a tutorial on this tomorrow...too late tonight-sorry- 4:30am comes early in my world. i know i did n't explain it right-so i will try to show you----tomorrow....easier than you may think
Old 11-29-2011, 06:03 PM

At the risk of sounding dopey what is a penny rug. I have never heard of it but it sounds interesting. Sue
Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 PM

I've looked in Gretchen Gibbons' book "Pennies From Heaven" and she says it can be done either way. She prefers to attach the large base first with a blanket stitch and build it up on block. They can be temporarily stapled or glued on to hold until you blanket stitch. I reread your question and don't quite get what you're asking so I don't know if this will help.Sorry.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:40 AM

Thanks for responding ladies. Quiltbuddy ... I'm not surprised my question was confusing LOL. I'll try it again and I'll maybe help Sue understand what a penny rug is. My penny rug is a candle mat. It is a black 8" circle of wool felt that I'm putting an american flag on with a blanket stitch and around the very outside edge of the circle (not laying on the circle but up against the edge) I'm attaching "pennies" which is a 2" black circle of wool felt with a 1 1/2" red circle of felt on top and then a very small star on top of the red circle. The 8" middle circle and each penny have a wool felt backing and I'm not sure when or how to attach the pennies. The book I'm making the pattern from assumes you know this part LOL. So, do I add the backing to everything and then attach the pennies or do I attach the pennies and then add the backings? I'm not sure what is meant by "built it up on block"?

Mudose8... duh ... I never thought about invisible thread ... thanks so much for that suggestion.

CKCowl ... you are not the only one that has an early wakeup call so I totally understand! My alarm goes off at 5 a.m. but my doggie alarm sometimes goes off even earlier LOL. I would love a tute if you have time.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:11 PM

Attach all pieces to top piece, then add backing piece. Then attach the penny's to the outside edge using coordinating thread or invisible thread. If you are using woolfelt, you need to wash it first in the hottest water your hands can stand, wring out excess water, then place in dryer, removing before completely dry. Lay on flat surface to complete drying.Do not iron or you will loose the old bubbly, bumpy look.

Last edited by mudose8; 11-30-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanks mudose8 ... I didn't know that about washing it. This is my first real project. I'll have to do that with my next project since I've already got this one well under way. My pennies are built but not backed and I'm working on stitching down the flag.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:16 AM

What I mean about building it up on the block was to buttonhole stitch the first circle down to the base and then add another circle on top of that and stitch down and sometimes they add another and buttonhole stitch around that one.