Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Perfecting the art of quilting >

Perfecting the art of quilting

Perfecting the art of quilting

Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dandish View Post
What a wonderful post. You have treasures and it's so good that you recognize that and see the big picture.
Dandish, you are so right. My grandmother taught me to quilt when I was in grade school. I am so thankful for that. In later years I remember her saying how her stitches weren't so go as other peoples. I never knew. I have her quilts and love them as if they were made of gold. What I see in her stitches is love, and hard work, and tenacity.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 PM

Question 1) are you enjoying your quilting? If the answer is yes you are doing fine. 2) if you aren't take a class, read some magazines get inspired again. Try a new color scheme or a new designer. Above all ENJOY YOURSELF!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:42 PM

I just want to add if you've done garment construction professionally you already have dveloped a very good habit of pressing every seam as soon as you sew it, in defense of the woman who just started quilting after garment comstruction. At least this was my personal experience, as i started as a 4-her and it is very competitive. so pressing during quilting came natural to me. I can't be separated from my iron for any type of sewing. It's my left arm.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:51 PM

Practice makes perfect. I've been quilting only since this Jan. I started out with just basic solid squares on baby quilts, now I have just finished a queen size T-shirt quilt! I am also practicing my quilting on my frame with my mid arm...learning control is a big one for me trying to make smooth flowing lines and experimenting little by little...I am still working on getting better and better with everything. The more you do, then faster and better it goes. I've only been doing it for 11months...Good luck!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Dee

Every quilt I create I learn something new. Every quilt is a learning experience.