Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
perfecting pinwheel points >

perfecting pinwheel points

perfecting pinwheel points

Old 06-26-2011, 01:55 PM

I'm trying three times to make Pinwheel blocks. I can't make the center points meet perfectlly. Three times ripping them out and three more sewing together, and I just can't make the centers meet perfectly. Is there a secret to this? I even tried sewing the points then adding the background, later but how to do that? I'm about ready to quit.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by EverNow
I'm trying three times to make Pinwheel blocks. I can't make the center points meet perfectlly. Three times ripping them out and three more sewing together, and I just can't make the centers meet perfectly. Is there a secret to this? I even tried sewing the points then adding the background, later but how to do that? I'm about ready to quit.
Please don't quit, theres lots of good quilters on this board that will help you. I'm working on stars now some are perfect and some don't match but I'm getting better.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:18 PM

There are several tutorials on the board regarding pinwheels. You can request the search be only for tutorials. It all has to do with that pesky 1/4" seam.

mltquilt
Old 06-26-2011, 02:22 PM

I'm not sure mine are perfect, I just line them up as best as I can and pin the heck out of them to hold them in place while I sew.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:45 PM

First press all the seams open that will meet in the center to reduce bulk. Before you start to sew, poke a pin thru the center of the seams you are trying to match and line the rest of the seam up from that point. Pin as necessary.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:04 PM

The one thing I can tell is you is if you're doing 2 at a time out of 1 block. You know by adding the 7/8" to the size of the finished block. Make sure when you draw the lines from cornor to cornor are right on. I use a piece of cardboard covered in 220 sandpaper to do this. Any variation will make your block a little off.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:06 PM

Thanks, Kat for the pin idea; I never thought of that. And the idea of triming the seam allowances. I'll let everyone know if my efforts on your behalf worked. I'll send a picture. :?:
Old 06-26-2011, 04:16 PM

I made a miller's crossing quilt and found that even though the pinwheel points weren't perfect (and I tried! they got ripped out quite a few times) you're only going to tell if you look at it up close, but from far away (meaning across the room) you can't really notice, you're more drawn to the pattern then to how perfect they match up. So my advice is to get them as good as you can, and remember, it doesn't have to be perfect! there's no such thing no matter how hard we try!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kat Sews
First press all the seams open that will meet in the center to reduce bulk. Before you start to sew, poke a pin thru the center of the seams you are trying to match and line the rest of the seam up from that point. Pin as necessary.
I do it this way also!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:29 AM

Do what Kat Sews says - works beautifully. I also find that if I start out making my HST's a little larger and trim up after sewing them together it works much better.