Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which permanent marking pen >

Which permanent marking pen

Which permanent marking pen

Old 03-15-2019, 07:33 AM

Default Which permanent marking pen

I am making a baby quilt with birds that need eyes. I am lousy at embroidering eyes and don’t want to use buttons since it’s a baby quilt, so I think drawing them on is my best option. That being said, which marking pen do you find to best withstand washing? I understand that nothing is truly permanent. I have seen discussions about this on the board some time back, but have been unsuccessful searching for them. Thank you in advance for your advice.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I recommend Zig Millenium... they are permanent and fine-tipped.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=zig+mille...l_3h7ddmsdo3_e
Old 03-15-2019, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

If the eyes are as big as buttons why don't you use fusible applique and applique them on then do a tiny zig zag stitch or straight stitch along the edge to hold the applique down. Or you can use felted wool or fleece or minkee, none of which fray and will add some interesting texture for the baby. Or find a friend who has an embroidery machine that can maybe do the eyes for you in machine embroidery.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:41 AM

Just make sure it is a fine or very fine tip Fabric marking pen. Do Not use a sharpie, even a fine tip one. After a couple years it will bleed. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-15-2019 at 01:10 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-17-2019, 05:49 AM

Gramma hunt is totally correct about the Sharpie pens. They are not meant for fabrics. I have a shirt thst has NASCAR drivers’ autographs on it and there is a yellow halo around the the autographs. I don’t mind it on the shirt but I would hate it on a quilt. I’ve used Pigma Micron pens and also (believe it or not) the gel pens - I tested the gel pens on fabric bu washing, scrubbing and other ways and nothing happened at all.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:43 AM

My friend Cindi, in preparation for a signature quilt, did an experiment and tested all of the permanent markers she could get her hands on, including Sharpie, PrismaColor, Micron, and Nano-Liner. She ran samples through all kinds of laundry hoops and the clear winner was the Nano-Liner by Royal Langnickel. It was the only pen that didn't run and didn't fade. She found them at Hobby Lobby.