Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pet and Smoke Free Environment >

Pet and Smoke Free Environment

Pet and Smoke Free Environment

Old 06-11-2011, 06:18 PM

Honestly, nobody wants to buy from someone who smokes around their fabrics. Even washing doesn't totally remove the odor. I wouldn't even plan on selling stuff if there were smokers in the house.

Pets, on the other hand, I simply would state that you do not have a pet free environment, although the items are washed and stored away from pets once completed. Some people have serious allergies to pet dander and really can't have items that come from a pet home.

My sister sells doll clothing. Her pets have been trained to perches and the door kept shut when she is not about, thus keeping her stuff free of fur.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:32 PM

My quilting girlfriend is extremly allergic to cats. So cats in fabric shops are deadly to her. Even fabric that has airred out for days, even washed is not good. People who have cats in their own home is their choice. But I think in quilt shops, There should not be cats, if they want to sell their fabrics. I am not allergic to cats ,but I dislike going to a shop that has cats. I have bought fabric that has had cat hair on it. Not what I like. We have to case out a quiltshop, before she can enter.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:32 AM

Let's think of the times that we all used to heat our homes with wood or coal fires, when we weren't able to change all our clothes every day, when we shared our living quarters with animals other than cats and dogs ...

The most beautiful of our antique quilts were probably sewn in those kinds of conditions.[/quote]

I still use a wood stove in winter and it often smokes the house out. I do wash the quilts but now 'I have to give it away as soon as I get it washed. DH smokes as well and I can't get him to stop no matter how I have tried. He did once but started up again and it is useless asking him. I have learned a lot by reading your stories as I too have a new cat and she loves my sewing room as I am always there. She loves human company just like all your furballs and they deserve attention too.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by My time
Sorry ladies but dogs smell and the smell is in everything. You have just stopped noticing it!
Sorry, but people have their own odors also.
I used to identify the sender of Christmas packages by their scent.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
I think the person with the sensitivity is where the responsibility lies.
being allergic to lots of things, i agree in part with this statement. however, the person buying should know in advance of the potential for difficulties for them, and choose to buy/accept or not. if it is not revealed, then there is no choice available to them.
I have allergies myself (not to pets, thank you Lord), so I am very conscious of the problem for others. I wash everything I make, and as soon as they come out of the dryer, they are put into plastic and sealed. No one has complained so far. If they did, I would make other concessions for them. I just want to make others happy.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

I don't worry about my Poodle'a hair, because when a poodle sheds-the hair will mat rather than fall off. That being said, I do wash my quilts before they leave my house. You are more likely to find my hair than hers.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 PM

I don't have allergies, don't smoke, do have pets! But I have purchased items that smelled of smoke, and items full, I don't mean a stray hair or two, FULL of hair, would of been nice if they would of took a lint brush to it, anywho... I know the people I give my items to, they know I have pets, my pets are family. If they don't/cannot take it then oh well, but this is my life and my home and that is the way it is. I always ask now if they have pets, if the items will have hair and if they smoke cigs or cigars. then I make my decision if I wish to purchase from that person or not. I do have to say it would be helpful if people did tell you if they smoked though.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

Everyone I make a quilt for knows I have cats. Plus they are my avatar. No one has ever complained. I don't let them on my projects and try to keep my sewing room as clean as possible. They are only allowed on the chairs in my sewing room, and when I am not in there, the door stays closed.

I wash all donation quilts before giving them too.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:58 PM

I agree with you. I think the buyer needs to state smoke free pet free, or what ever. Serious allergies can kill people .

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
I think the person with the sensitivity is where the responsibility lies.
being allergic to lots of things, i agree in part with this statement. however, the person buying should know in advance of the potential for difficulties for them, and choose to buy/accept or not. if it is not revealed, then there is no choice available to them.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by ywoodruff5 View Post
Wow....this is a touchy topic and I just have to reply but will try to be tactful.....lol.

I have a dog and both my DH and I smoke in the basement. Yes, pet dander can be a problem for people with allergies. But this should not be a problem if completed article is laundered or dry cleaned.

Smoke oder is simply an annoyance - and that comes straight from an allergist! This, too, can be alleviated with laundering. The flip side of the coin is fabric that is perfumed for those of us with perfume (musk) allergies.

I recently moved from CA to MN and joined a quilt guild to make new friends and enjoy the sharing. They meet twice a month and I was traveling 45 miles one-way to attend. At first I thought people were different in the midwest because no one seemed interested in getting together or "allowing" me to attend their retreats. Finally, a member took me aside and told me the reason was because I was a smoker. I explained that I don't smoke around non-smokers or at retreats. Her response was that I would still smell like smoke! I didn't reply (and no longer go to guild) but couldn't help but think about all the women who use perfume that I am allergic to and yet I never said anything - just tried to hold my breath or avoid.

Thank you for allowing me to vent!
Sorry to disagree with that Allergist, but smoke odor is not just an annoyance.
I have an asthma attack any time I am around smoke for longer than a very few minutes.
It took me a while to realize it, but every time I would visit a home with a smoker or go hear my brother's band play in a bar full of smoke, my chest would get tight, hurt, and I felt like I couldn't get a breath.

I will add I also have Lupus with secondary Sjogrens, and many "normal" smells make me sick. Sometimes not out of breath sick, but nauseated/vomiting sick.

We had a cat, she lived 18+ years, died 5 years ago this past Labor Day. She was the only pet I'd ever had. I was devastated when she died. And I used to make fun of people who would pay to have a pet buried, etc. That sure came back to bite me in the "patootie".

I didn't quilt nor have fabrics until after Buttons passed. We don't smoke nor allow it in our house.
My mom also lives with us, she's a lung cancer survivor of 10+ yrs, only has 1 lung and is on oxygen full-time.
She had been a smoker, had quit 3 yrs prior to the lung cancer diagnosis. My dad died from complications of COPD at age 62, two yrs prior to Mom's lung cancer diagnosis.

I participate in swaps here, and let people know we are a smoke and pet free home.
I also know that I may get fabrics/blocks from smokers. If I do, I immediately wash them.

No complaining, as I know when I sign up for a swap that it's a possibility, and if I was going to complain, then I wouldn't sign up to swap.

All of you with your fur babies, love on them, and enjoy them!

Anyone who smokes, I don't give advice, as I've never smoked. I will pass on advice from my mom: She wishes she'd quit years before she did, BUT she says she wouldn't listen to anyone, and she can't expect anyone to do something she herself didn't do.
I agree this is a touchy subject. But there are ways we can all discuss things, maybe agree to disagree, while being courteous.

Regards,
K