Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pfaff expression 2 throat plate question >

pfaff expression 2 throat plate question

pfaff expression 2 throat plate question

Old 01-17-2014, 10:50 AM

Default pfaff expression 2 throat plate question

This is a question for anyone who has a Pfaff expression 2 and that throat plate with one hole in it...for straight sewing.

If I got such a throat plate, would I still be able to move my needle a notch to the left or right, like for a scant 1/4 inch seam?

I bought my machine three years ago...oh dear....maybe four years ago, and my dealer doesn't know the answer to this question. I was going to order one but decided not to because she didn't know if I would be able to move the needle sideways.

Does anyone out there know? I realize it is a pretty specific question.

Thanks,
Dina
Old 01-17-2014, 11:08 AM

I don't know about your Pfaff but one of mine lets me move my needle 1 position either side only while using the single hole throat plate. You can only go slowly and try it out.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:54 PM

Upon thinking on this, I think that this plate is designed for straight sewing, and moving the needle either way wouldn't be considered straight. So it would be unrealistic to think it would work if I moved the needle. I am dong fine without this throat plate, so I won't think about getting one any more. Thanks, AliKat, for letting me know yours lets you move your needle 1 position either way.

Dina
Old 01-17-2014, 01:42 PM

I have an Expression 4 and bought the 'Straight Stitch Needle Plate with Inch Markings' last week. The dealer who is also a machine technician told me not to move the needle when using it. The 4 also has a setting in 'Tools' which you set to tell you you've got that plate on and it won't allow you to move the needle. I haven't used it yet.

So perhaps this applies to the 2 as well. There is also a foot to match that plate called the 'Straight Stitch Foot with Round Needle Hole'.

I bought my plate because it's supposed to stop fabric being drawn down into the dogs:

http://www.pfaff.com/au/14802_3427.html

Last edited by Dalronix; 01-17-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dalronix View Post
I have an Expression 4 and bought the 'Straight Stitch Needle Plate with Inch Markings' last week. The dealer who is also a machine technician told me not to move the needle when using it. The 4 also has a setting in 'Tools' which you set to tell you you've got that plate on and it won't allow you to move the needle. I haven't used it yet.

So perhaps this applies to the 2 as well. There is also a foot to match that plate called the 'Straight Stitch Foot with Round Needle Hole'.

I bought my plate because it's supposed to stop fabric being drawn down into the dogs:

http://www.pfaff.com/au/14802_3427.html
Thanks. This is just the information I needed.

Dina
Old 01-17-2014, 02:23 PM

I have a Pfaff 2144 and i have the straight stitch plate with one hole in it. You can not move the needle to either side when using it. My machine has "lock" button that locks the machine in straight stitch so it can't be moved. You would break a needle if you move it because it will not go down the hole like it should.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:33 PM

can't you or your dealer get in touch with Pfafff and let them advise you about this. I have a Pfaff and have gotten my dealer to ask them questions he could not answer, he was glad to do this for me because he said it helped educate him as well as his other customers
Old 01-17-2014, 03:54 PM

I have an Expression 2.0 and I move my needle right and left all the time with the standard throat plate. Just make sure you have the correct sized foot. Hope this helps.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:56 PM

Again, thanks everyone. I am pretty sure the answer to my question is no, you can't use that throat plate with one hole if you move the needle left or right. Knowing the machine locks the needle into position certainly makes that obvious. I will just be happy without this throat plate.

Thanks again though.

Dina
Old 01-18-2014, 04:46 AM

I have this machine and I don't even know how to move the needle position ! I use my single hole throat plate when & if I start having problems with the fabric. btw, how do you move the needle? which button do I push ??