Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Expression >

Pfaff Expression

Pfaff Expression

Old 09-21-2015, 03:24 AM

Default Pfaff Expression

I bought an Expression Pfaff last 3.5 in Feb. I have a 7570 and it has been a wonderful machine but this one is not. I bought it especially for fmq but I have to hold my mouth just right to get the foot in the right position . I quilted a whole section and the back was a complete birds nest because the foot was not in the "darning position". and the foot keeps falling off after about 12 inches of fmq. The needle threader takes several tries to get the needle threaded.. does anyone else have these issues with the Pfaff 3.5?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-21-2015 at 04:13 AM. Reason: pm
Old 09-21-2015, 05:44 AM

Hi Molly, I have Expression 2.0 and I also had trouble with my threader. Found out if you use a magnifying glass you can see the problem and be able to fix it. I couldn't see it but my husband could...he just had to bend a little wire that goes in the needle hole to fix. Also by the sound of your nesting on the backside, could you have possibly put the bobbin in going the wrong way ? This is all I know, but wanted to share it with you. Good Luck, I love my Pfaffs !
Old 09-21-2015, 08:40 AM

I have an Expressions 3.0 and love it. I can't use the needle threader either, but have no trouble yet! I put a light coloredpiece of fabric or ? behind and can see the needle hole better. The feet stay on and I'm wondering if some of yours are "generic" or from other macnines. The nesting on the back sounds like what happens when either the bobbin or the top thread are not "in" properly. Sometimes both! And at times I've had to re-do the threading more than once.

I hope you can figure out your problem because when its working, its a wonderful machine! Good luck!
Old 09-21-2015, 09:24 AM

I have an Expression 2.0, and I love it. I don't do fmq though, so maybe that makes a difference. I am just a big big fan of SID. My needle threader works fine.

I hate that you are having problems. I hope the quilting goddess smiles your way soon. I also hope that someone here has an answer to your problems. Maybe there is an easy fix.

Dina
Old 09-21-2015, 12:47 PM

It's usually the tiny hook in the needle threader that gets out of whack. You can push it back or open it carefully with a pin.

If you don't have a straight stitch plate, try covering up most of the zigzag hole with paper and tape, post its, - we used masking tape. It helps. The single stitch machines that people use for FMQ have the single hole.

I've got a 2170 and have played with the newer Pfaffs and don't want one. I prefer the vertical bobbin rather than the drop-in. They are nice otherwise.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:01 PM

Take it back to the store!!! For the amount it costs, you need it in perfect working order and need enough instructions in that specific machine. I have 2 Pfaffs and am in love with both of them.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:44 PM

Regarding threading the needle, I have found if my needle is not seated completely, the needle threader will not work, check your needle!!!
Old 09-21-2015, 06:16 PM

Even when the threader wire is grabbing the thread, the little down pointer thing that the front thread is hooked around on the left side is too long to release the thread in time for the thread to stay pulled through the needle. I have to be very careful about making sure the thread slides off the hook. For me that is the only function that is really poor. About the big loops on the back, it could be that the top thread in not in the tensions disk securely, or your tension needs to be tightened. This youtube video is for the 4.2, but the expressions all thread the same and it shows the steps and tips for the best threading. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNHBEUtkUkI
Old 09-23-2015, 02:36 PM

When I get birds nest on back its because the thread isn't in the take up lever. Good luck!
Old 09-23-2015, 02:41 PM

I have four 7570s and love them I quit while I was ahead lol so sorry you are having problems with the new one