Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pfaff grand quilter 1200 owners???? >

pfaff grand quilter 1200 owners????

pfaff grand quilter 1200 owners????

Old 09-10-2011, 10:30 AM

Just joined this message board and curious to know if you ever got the machine to stop breaking thread. I have one that I bought used and kept having that problem too. I hate to say but after getting the machine checked out and being told it is a great machine in good working order, I still have the thread breakage. I am going to look for the HLx5 needles and try again. My machine and frame have been just sitting taking up space and I am considering sellling them. People have told me it just takes a lot of time and practice but very frustrating when you have to rethread every few seconds.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:31 PM

I have the exact same problem. After trying all the manufactures suggestions I too googled for a solution. More than one individual suggested raising the side panels that say Pfaff on them, so the top of the panel is about an inch about the table. I then rooted through my husbands tool box, (I know bad girl) and got his level and tape measure. I leveled the bars length ways and then measured the distance between the top take up bar and the top rail where the quilt backing is wound. Unbelievabe how much they can get out of wack from all the shaking of the table while quilting. Best of luck let me know how it turns out. PS if you google it you will also see a pic. cheers,
Old 01-29-2012, 01:35 PM

I have that same set up and bought it 4 years ago. I've only had one problem with breaking thread and I solved it by switching to another cone of thread (same mfg.). It was a bad spool.

Here is what I use:

King Tut in the top
Bobbin Line or Aurifil in the bobbin
Inspira 90/14 top stitch needles (purchased through the Jo-Ann's store)

Keep the bars about 1/2"-1" above the bed of the machine. I can usually go a few rows before adjusting it up again.

Do you have that bar threaded on the front of the machine (the one with the 3 holes)? I'm not at the same place the machine is, I think I go down the first hole (the one furthest away from the machine). Bring it up and around the bar and down hole #3.

I clean the bobbin area each time I put in a new one.
Are you threading with the foot up?
I oil after each project.

Edited: If you join the yahoo group they have so many answers and they post photos of the machine set up. also, I don't have my machine at it's highest speed. Back it off at least a 1/4. You don't want to quilt fast, you want to be consistent.
yes, I have the controller and it works great.

Last edited by Karenowc; 01-29-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:27 AM

I have the 1200 and no matter what I do the thread breaks or bunches up in the throat plate. I have changed the thread the needle the bobbin the stitch no matter what I try it breaks. Phaff dealers are no help!! Maybe we need a class action suit to get our money back!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK View Post
I love mine
Do you have the GrandQuilter 1200 and did your thread break as well?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:40 AM

No kidding..me too. It had me in tears, I was so excited to quilt my tops and then thread breakage and loopty loops on the under side of quilt.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:27 PM

I have a C1100 Pro Pfaff. I was having a heck of a time with thread breaking. I finally realized the thickness of the thread made a difference. I now use Madera Aerofil thread and it is fine. Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:34 PM

I had the same experience with my Pfaff. It was partly the thread I was using and the other part was the polyester batting inside the quilt. I bought better thread and used cotton batting and had no breakage on the next quilt.
Reggie42