Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Powerquilter 16.0 >

Pfaff Powerquilter 16.0

Pfaff Powerquilter 16.0

Old 12-04-2013, 05:32 PM

Default Pfaff Powerquilter 16.0

Does anyone here own or have used a Pfaff Powerquilter 16.0? I'm looking for opinions or reviews before purchasing this machine. Many thanks!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:08 AM

Did you search sewing pattern review's pages?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

I hadn't heard of that machine but found the following that may help:
http://katiesquiltingcorner.com/cate...erquilter-16-0

Is this a really new machine? I Googled and could find no other user reviews of it, although I did find this one for the Pfaff P3:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/quilting...x3ED0YJL11WXY9
and this QB post about the PowerQuilter (maybe the first one?):
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...m-t198476.html

I'm thinking that other brands for this type of machine are better known (and therefore possibly safer purchases, especially if you want to upgrade later and need to sell).
Old 12-05-2013, 02:03 PM

Thank you Mdaniels and Prism99 for your replies. We have only one local sewing machine shop where I live and they are currently offering this machine on sale. I see from Katie's Corner that it is most likely made by Handiquilter for Pfaff. I'm not so sure I would want this kind of machine for quilting, but since I don't have space for a longarm, I thought it may be a good alternative. Katie seems to be pleased with her Powerquilter, but I can't find any new updated info from her. Thanks again! I'm not in a hurry so will look at other options as well.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by RainyBC View Post
Does anyone here own or have used a Pfaff Powerquilter 16.0? I'm looking for opinions or reviews before purchasing this machine. Many thanks!
I just got one, today!
It was on the floor at the quiltshop and I fell in love. It worked beautifully, even in my hands. Absolutely no problems whatsoever.
They boxed it up and I brought it home. Took it out of the box and got it set up. Still had the same bobbin in as at the shop. I threaded it as per directions, never touched any settings, and I now have a horrible mess. The tension is way off and I can't seem to get it set right. I am at my wits end right now.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
According to the book you only play with the bobbin tension, and if that fails you can start with the upper, but it doesn't seem to help.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:17 AM

For checking the bobbin tension search you tube for Jamie Wallen. He has a good methiod fkr checking your bobbin tension. I have had a Sweet 16, which is the same machine virtually, and have never had to adjust my bobbin tension.

Foe the top tension: that needs to be adjusted with every new thread. You have to really crank that top disl. It is not like your regular machine. .Crank the dial one full turn and check your tension. Do it again. Move the dial until it looks good.

Try rethreading the machine. Make sure the needle has not come loose.

The Handiquilter site has tons of information.

Also join the Yahoo group for HQ Sit Down machines. Don't have the exact name but you should be able to search the groups for it. Just tons of info and help there.

These machines are great but there is a learning curve. Keep going - you will bond with your machine and have happy times.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:07 AM

Thanks sewmary for the information. Great to know.
And with that, I feel very foolish. I currently have five machines and have not had an issue with any of them - until now. I actually read the directions, several times which I never do.
What I discovered is that the bobbin doesn't just sit in the mechanism, but you have to really push it in to seat. It has to pop in.
With the top thread, it's the same thing with the tension spring - one really has to pull it snugly until it pops in.
Now I know and the machine barely has time to cool down.
Another interesting thing happened this morning. I touched the needle down button so I could pull up a thread to start, and the thing didn't stop. It just kept going (very slowly) until I finally shut it off.
The shop offered free classes so I am going this week. I know that was a fluke situation, but I'll mention it to them anyway.
Otherwise, I absolutely love it and am thinking of selling my stand up frame and machine.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:41 AM

I've been using my machine - daily - so it has taken over my life. I can sit there for hours (and do) to quilt. I've finished several Project Linus quilts for practice and have started on some other things, again for practice. [ATTACH=CONFIG]482682[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]482683[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]482684[/ATTACH]
The two placemats, found at Good will ($0.99 each), one put on bleached muslin and the other put on a satin curtain I took down and didn't want to throw away. They are my first ever FMQ projects - successful ones. The red one is a grandma hankie that I didn't know what to do with, so I put it on white cotton sateen and did FMQ.
I am very happy with the results.
Attached Thumbnails fmq1.jpg   vintage-placemat.jpg   fmq2a.jpg  
Old 10-09-2014, 06:48 AM

I am still in love with my Pfaff. Best purchase I ever made. Earlier this week I went back to my stand up quilter and gave it a shot. What I learned is I am definitely going to try and sell it and the frame. Back to my sit down and having fun. I am making holiday placemats and am thrilled with the results.
Sorry, I don't know how to do lighting to make the quilting show up better, but you can get the idea of it here.
Jane in AZ
Attached Thumbnails img_1585.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 04:54 AM

I just bought my machine and picked it up yesterday. I can't get my tension right. I'm getting really upset that there aren't that much direction in the book or utube dose anyone have a suggestion please help.