Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2 >

Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2

Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2

Old 12-09-2015, 03:53 AM

Default Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2

I am seriously considering buying a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2 and though I've looked at some of the discussions on machines, I can't find many references to the Pfaff machines on this board. Does anyone have that model and are you happy with it? I have test-driven one and so far I like everything about it, but I do find it to be a bit loud compared to my old Pfaff 360 model from the 80's. I would appreciate hearing of any prod/cons that you might have.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:32 AM

Wish I had the 4.2 for the bobbin alert and knee raise presser foot option, but at least I have a 3.0 and love it! Never noticed much noise.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Wish I had the 4.2 for the bobbin alert and knee raise presser foot option, but at least I have a 3.0 and love it! Never noticed much noise.
You don't even need to use the knee lift for most sewing! If you set it on auto pivot, it'll raise itself when you stop sewing . I have the 4.0 and the Performance 5 and love the Sensormatic mode for FMQ (foot hovers over the sandwich instead of jumping up and down). I bought the 5 when I went to look at a Bernina. I couldn't get over the fact that for $1000 more with the Bernina you had to a) use a walking foot and b) you'd have to buy it for another $160! The 4.2 has a few more stitches than the 4.0 and another FMQ mode, otherwise they're almost the same. Love mine.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:12 PM

I have the Pfaff Expression 2.0 and I love it. I got it five years ago. I have only been quilting 5 years, so I don't have quilting experience on any other machine.

My husband and I are both amateur radio operators, and the sewing machines I have had before this one (I have been sewing for 50 years, just not quilting that long...) were noisy and caused static on our ham radios. My husband rigged up a "noise level detector" that I took with me when I tried out the various machines. It looked sort of like a small transistor radio, if you remember those. The sales clerks were amazed that I was checking out sound levels, but all were tolerant of me. The Pfaff was the quietest that I tested.

I'd say if you like the machine, go for it!

Dina
Old 12-10-2015, 05:54 AM

I have the machine and love it. I even used the alphabet stitches to make a label. And love the built-in walking foot. I think you will love the machine as much as I do.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:21 AM

Unfortunately the 3.0 doesn't have auto-pivot. Sure would use it if it did!

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
You don't even need to use the knee lift for most sewing! If you set it on auto pivot, it'll raise itself when you stop sewing . I have the 4.0 and the Performance 5 and love the Sensormatic mode for FMQ (foot hovers over the sandwich instead of jumping up and down). I bought the 5 when I went to look at a Bernina. I couldn't get over the fact that for $1000 more with the Bernina you had to a) use a walking foot and b) you'd have to buy it for another $160! The 4.2 has a few more stitches than the 4.0 and another FMQ mode, otherwise they're almost the same. Love mine.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:10 AM

Thank you for the confirmation on how much you like it. I am really impressed with the quality and reputation of the Pfaff company, not to mention the warranty. I am still in the "dream" phase, but know that I will eventually be able to get it.