Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pfaff vs bernina >

pfaff vs bernina

pfaff vs bernina

Old 12-11-2011, 01:31 PM

Default pfaff vs bernina

It's been a long time since I last logged in, I even had trouble with passwords etc. , but I'm back!
Now for my dilema! I have been married to the most wonderful man for the last 41 years, and right now what is he doing? Well I'll tell you, he is on line comparing pfaff and bernina machines to help me decide which one would best suit my needs. Got to love him!! OK so this past summer I did buy him a 650 V Strom Susuki motarcycle but that's a whole other story.
Right now I have an older Singer model and a Husqvarna Platinum Plus Embroidery machine, and with a little push for him I am looking for a good quilting machine. There are two dealers in the town I live in, both are my friends, one has the Pfaff line , the other Bernina. I wish I could purchase from both of them, but alas we are on pension here folks.
The price point we are looking at is around $3000. The Bernina captivates my heart because of the stitch regulator and Pfaff because of the 10" throat and even fabric feed. Because I am looking to use this machine mainly for free motion work and quilting I fancy the stitch regulator, and also need those lovely 1/4" seams.
Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
By the way my husband is now making supper while I send this e-mail off, and no I am not sharing him.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:53 PM

I have a 440 bernina and I love to use the bsr for free motion quilting. I like the machine for regular quilting too. it does everything I need and then some. I didn't get the embroidery module and I spent about 3100 for it.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:11 PM

I'd go with the Bernina 440. That's about the same price range, and you may find it a bit cheaper because they're being discontinued (in favour of the 550 - the new quilter's edition.) - It's all metal, made in Switzerland, great warranty, etc, etc, etc. The two things I would plan on wanting soon after getting it: The extended 24x24" bed, the 1/4" foot with the guide (why this isn't included off the cuff I have no idea), and the "in the ditch" walking foot attachment.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:06 PM

Pfaff and Viking were sold off to Singer and the new machines are not what they were. I have a Bernina and would go that route...Bernina machines continue to hold their value and have a reputation for excellence.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:44 PM

I have a Pfaff that I purchased in1994. It was one of the early generations of embroidery/sewing machines. It stills sews beartifully, but has had a nervous breakdown and no longer embroideries. My decision in purchasing my Pfaff was the IDT foot. At that time Bernina did not have an attached walking foot, but they do now, and I have seriously been looking at the new Berninias. It has everything I want in a machine I have also looked at the new Pfaff, but it does not have a stitch regulator. I am not unhappy with my Pfaff, but beside embroidery, the stitch regulator would be nice also.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:41 PM

You can find user reviews of many sewing machines at http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingMachine/Reviews Like Candace, I have a Bernina and would stick with that brand over a new Pfaff.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:58 PM

I would go with the Pfaff if you have a shop nearby. I think that is one of the important aspects of choosing a machine. If you need to get it serviced, you want a convenient place to go. I have had a Pfaff for many years and have never had it serviced but most of my friends take their machines in about once a year. Also, since I quilt I would love the larger throat plate. I have never had difficulty regulating my stitch.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:29 AM

I bought a Bernina that has the BSR Foot and I love it, made FMQ so much easier and my stitches always look so nice and even.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:24 PM

I love my Pfaffs. The IDT is the selling point for me. The BSR doesn't always work ... I know that one for a fact as every time I have used it it didn't work well. Maybe it is my magnetic personality or my aura.

I know Pfaff and Viking are now under the same company. Just don't think it is Singer.

ali
Old 12-12-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
I know Pfaff and Viking are now under the same company. Just don't think it is Singer.

ali
Yup, that's why it's called SVP Worldwide (Singer-Viking-Pfaff) http://www.svpworldwide.com/