Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
phaff sewing machine and cabinet..what's it worth? >

phaff sewing machine and cabinet..what's it worth?

phaff sewing machine and cabinet..what's it worth?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:52 PM

I saw a phaff sewing machine in a cabinet today in a thrift store...when I asked the price, the clerk said 'this is a donation thrift store. You tell us what you will donate for the item"....I asked "Does it sew" and she had no idea if it does or not..it had no bobbin, no thread, no way to check it out..she said she thinks its from the middle to late 1960's....... it feels tight when you rotate the wheel...any suggestions about a price for this? The table looks like maple , it has "pretend" drawers in the middle section. I would appreiciate any suggestions here.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:59 PM

I paid $27 for a Necchi in a cabinet and $25 for a Universal. Because the condition is unknown, I'd offer them $25. The Necchi was marked $30, but seniors get 10% off there. I felt a little funny taking the discount, but not the $30. They priced it.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:17 PM

I did tell her that I recently got a SINGER at the Goodwill store, that is noisey but sews a nice, tight seam and I paid $15.00 for it.......that at least gave her something to think about....
Old 09-07-2011, 05:34 PM

Wow: I've never been to a "donation store" before: So U R the one that tells them the price???? How cool: My Grandaughter lives in Asheville. Where is this store???
Old 09-07-2011, 06:28 PM

It is a newly opened one (at least, new to me)..it is right next door to Fletcher Foam and Fabric, in Fletcher (south of Asheville, just a short drive).She lives here, she will know where I am talking about. It looks very small from the front outside, but when you get in there, it opens up to a much larger area in the back.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:34 PM

since you can't determine if the machine is working then you have to price as if it doesn't.

i would offer whatever he cabinet is worth $10-$20 depending on condition and size.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

if you can get the serial # & model # from the machine you can look it up on the Pfaff site and get an idea about the machine- and also find out about attachments/bobbins- or call a local repair shop if there is one in your area- to see what it will cost to have it (gone over, cleaned and tuned up)
i would think the cabinet alone would be worth $25-$50
maybe just donate for the value of that- figuring the machine you will probably have to put money into to get it working.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by 4dogs
I saw a phaff sewing machine in a cabinet today in a thrift store...when I asked the price, the clerk said 'this is a donation thrift store. You tell us what you will donate for the item"....I asked "Does it sew" and she had no idea if it does or not..it had no bobbin, no thread, no way to check it out..she said she thinks its from the middle to late 1960's....... it feels tight when you rotate the wheel...any suggestions about a price for this? The table looks like maple , it has "pretend" drawers in the middle section. I would appreiciate any suggestions here.
It just might need a good cleaning.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by 4dogs
It is a newly opened one (at least, new to me)..it is right next door to Fletcher Foam and Fabric, in Fletcher (south of Asheville, just a short drive).She lives here, she will know where I am talking about. It looks very small from the front outside, but when you get in there, it opens up to a much larger area in the back.
Thank U I'm going to check it out:::