Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Photo quilting >

Photo quilting

Photo quilting

Old 10-08-2011, 08:33 PM

Wow, talk about a topic from the past - 5 years ago! Though perfect timing since I am getting ready to print onto fabric
Old 10-09-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by ShellLady65
Thank you, thank you, thank you Purrfectquilts. I hope to find what I need at this site. I did really enjoy the transfer paper. Found it an easy way to print/paste photos onto material...Shelllady65
Dharma Trading Co. carries this transfer paper and has a newer version that makes a softer transfer, plus they have some that is more sheer and lets the background color show through as well as some that is opaque and covers the background.

I do a lot of printing on fabric and printing these transfers so I buy 50 sheets or more at a time. PM me with any questions you have and I will be glad to help you.

It is fun as you said.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by cdmmiracles
what is the large label maker? where do you find it? Do you just iron the material to it and then it goes through printer or what? I would love to make one for my DIL!
Thanks Crystal
It is not a label maker. We are talking about sticky label paper that comes in full sheet size. You peel the backing and put the sticky paper on your fabric. It is already sized 8.5" x 11" same as computer paper. When smoothed carefully and fabric edges trimmed to match, it goes through the printer easier and with less jamming than just ironing fabric to freezer paper.

Another way is to use two sheets of freezer paper ironed together and trimmed to size. Sometimes that helps. Or put scotch tape over your leading edge feeding into the printer.

The results depend on the brand of printer and what type of ink it uses. Epson which prints in a L pattern and uses durabrite or durachrome inks has the best results usually. Printers such as Hewlett Packard that print in a U shape and that jams more easily plus the ink types wash out more easily.

As Patrice mentioned I use Bubble Jet Set to soak my fabric and let it drip dry. Then I rinse in a mixture of one gallon distilled water to 4 caps of Bubble Jet Rinse, plus a couple capfuls of Retayne.

I am making two photo quilts at the moment and have made many using all methods in the past. It is addictive in a way because it is so much fun. Enjoy!!