Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Photos on Fabric - Are there problems, pitfalls? >

Photos on Fabric - Are there problems, pitfalls?

Photos on Fabric - Are there problems, pitfalls?

Old 01-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Question Photos on Fabric - Are there problems, pitfalls?

I'm only going to do one project so I don't want to get into 'roll-your-own' fabric which has to be treated. I want to buy pre-treated sheets, assuming they are colorfast and decent-looking printed. I only need 3-6 fabric sheets. I have photos I have montaged/repeated in to 8x10 sheet and when they are printed I will cut them into pieces like the rest of the quilt and 'sneak them in'.

What do you recommend?

Any new products or product problems?

Can I starch, iron and wash the photo fabric?

After it is done it will go to DS who won't ever wash it unless he brings it home! LOL This was a Christmas present I never finished. Right now I have all the pieces cut up except the sneaky photos. I hope to give it on his birthday...

Thanks much
Sue
Old 01-06-2012, 08:02 PM

I posted a quilt on here under the title of Doggie Quilt. I used EQ Printables for ink jet printers. It was great, simple, easy, washable, ironable, starchable. I kept waiting for something to happen to the pictures but it never did. You can look up my quilt and see the finished project. First time I ever did this but it won't be my last. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:17 PM

I used Printed Treasures with no problems. The first picture was a little dark, but my printer puts down a heavy amount of ink so that's not the fabric's fault. I handwashed it the next day just to make sure it was colorfast. Very easy to use. You can see them here in the second picture.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t174360.html

Last edited by irishrose; 01-06-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:00 AM

I had bought some printed treasures at Joanne's but it was iron-on, I found, once I opened it up. (I remember your swirly table topper, Irishrose - saw that post - wow!) Did you iron onto a backing and then sew that into the quilt?

Crafty, I did see an ad for EQ which looked too good to be true. Your doggie quilt is adorable and the photos came out really great.

Right now I have everything cut to size and ready to put together (I am doing a Third Time Around pattern) except for the strips which will have the special fabric. I have photos of his dog, photos of the ducks at the pond where he went to college, sunlit photos of bottles from some goofy micro-brew beer he saved as souvenirs, all in shades of brown to match the quilt, all tiled up onto an 8x10 pdf file. Goofy and tacky but I hope he will like it. It may end up as the memory quilt for the dog as she is getting old.

Just tell me it can't be that hard to do!
Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 AM

My DDs have made a number of memory quilts using June Tailor fabric sheets. They have had no problems with them. Be sure you get the "sew in" sheets( i think it is the light green pkg.) as there are several types.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:09 AM

No my sheets were not iron on. They are sashed and sewn in the quilt just like any other fabric square. They were a little stiff, but not terrible, but that may be from the ink in the Epson printer. Next time I'll try my HP, but I was out of color ink and the Epson is direct feed so the fabric goes in the way it comes out so at the time it seemed the better choice.

Your quilt sounds very personalized and your son will love it. My son does his. I know the back on mine doesn't match. I had already purchased the brown when I realized I had to put the USMC emblem on the back. This quilt will get heavy use, but he promised me he'd wash it carefully.

Last edited by irishrose; 01-07-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:12 AM

I use the printed treasures all the time. I use it mainly for labels and it works fine and is washable. I usually frame it with fabric because it is difficult to handstitch through, but machine stitching is no problem. I've heard good things about the EQ printables, so that is next on my list when I run out of what I have.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:01 PM

I'm going to try the EQ. My son just went off to the airport to go back to school and I can un-hide his quilt and get going on it again. I will post something when I get some blocks with photo fabric in them
thanks!
Old 01-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

when you shop for your fabric sheets- read the packages- some are made to be washable- others are not-some need to be dry cleaned- some are for wall hangings- some are iron on transfers- (like t=shirt decals) some you print directly on the fabric- they come in packages that also vary-some 3 sheets to a pack- some 10===so read the package and choose the one that meets your needs- and follow the instructions on the package for best results. i always set my printed pictures aside to *cure-allow the ink to really settle into the fibers* for about 24 hours before i heat set. we look forward to seeing your project
Old 01-16-2012, 11:44 AM

If Printed Treasures sits around too long, some times the backing does not come off quite as easily. just touch it with a wool setting on the iron, enough to warm the fabric, I did it from the paper side and had a pressing cloth underneath the printed image. paper came off no problem at that point. Miracle Sheets is also a nice product.